shooting rest for hunting

rdeh

Does anyone know if the bullet point of impact will change if you use a bipod vs shooting bag. I use a shooting bag to sight in off of the bench but I will use a bipod for hunting. Most of my shots hunting are taken off of whatever rest I can find, tree, fence post, backpack and sometimes the bipod. I just didn't know if the bipod would change things. My bipod is a Harris if that makes any difference

Best thing to do is to shoot your rig from those positions and see what happens. Depedning on how your rifle is fitted to your stock you may notice from near nothing to large change.

I shoot my 22-250 off sand bags and hunt ground hogs with a bypod no problem. If you rest your rifle in the same spot as the bypod is conected to the rifle. It the same pressure point. If its different you'll have a different point of aim then your bullets impact point.

All three of my rifles are are free floated, so maybe it wouldn't have any effect if I keep whatever I am resting the gun on away from the barrel.

nehunter
Thats not entirely correct. Free floated or not will not matter. It's more about how the rifle recoils. Using a bipod you can change your point of impact in several different ways. What you rest the bipod on makes a difference you get a little more bounce off of packed soil than you would off of tilled ground, and even more still off of concrete or the hood/bed of a truck. Also how you load the bipod (put the legs on the ground and pull back or push forward) will make a difference.

Some of these things make a big difference others not so much. Try a few different things and see what works. Mostly I think like everything else in shooting the trick is to be consistent.

Chris

I have even noticed that changes in position, like from bench to prone but both with the bipod effect by ability to cheek the rifle the same and cause very minor impact changes.

Shawn

my long range carry gun weighed about 14 lbs with the bi-pod and my POI would change about 2MOA between sand bags and the bi-pod. this was horizontally, not vertically. as stated earlier, the surface you rest the bi-pod on will change things a little.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts