Shooting while pregnant?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Bigeclipse, Oct 23, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Orange Dust

Orange Dust Well-Known Member

Good plan. Goes to the point I made earlier: Whatever she decides to do, you do it too. You don't want to find out what happens if a pregnant woman gets really peeved at you. Trust me on this one. I am old, traveled that road and have the scars to prove it.

2. WyoMSRHunter

WyoMSRHunter Member

I can't tell if I have tinnitus because of all of the ringing in my ears!!!

3. Orange Dust

Orange Dust Well-Known Member

Me either. Sometimes the pitch changes and its more like a buzz. What do they call that?

4. WyoMSRHunter

WyoMSRHunter Member

Tequila......

5. 762x51

762x51 Well-Known Member

i think it would be fine, but you've got less than 3 months, why risk anything? i think the biggest issue would be her coming into contact with lead. coming into contact with lead is not good for kids. she also probably doesnt need to be climbing in and out of a deer stand or riding a 4 wheeler out into the woods.

nvschütze likes this.
  6. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

"coming into contact with lead"......come on, she's not eating the paint off of window sills that were painted in the 50's. Get real here. I was a toddler in the 50's and my shakes don't bother me now like they used too. I would rather have a hunter born than a snowflake......Mom refrain from pulling the trigger till your little one is here.....

7. Doghunter23

Doghunter23 Well-Known Member

took my wife to the range a bunch with both kids with no issues, she asked her OBGYN -and she said that she went to the shooting range while pregnant with all her own kids...so dealers choice I guess. I would think an unbreaked rifle with low recoil would be best.

8. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Well-Known Member

Could you substitute a crossbow, for a rifle in your hunting season? We can here in my state. Then, consider how to safely get her out to a ground blind, safely. Otherwise, I would have her sit this one out at camp or home.

9. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

At 6 months I'd say there's probably at least some risk of hearing damage to the unborn child if you're shooting something horribly nasty and loud particularly at the range.

Other than that, a single shot on game particularly from a blind where the muzzle is outside of "The box" so to speak probably isn't going to do any harm but I'd still avoid anything punishingly loud to the shooter. Remember the baby is swimming in fluid and fluid is a much better conductor of sound than air.

If you're shooting suppressed I wouldn't let it concern me at all.

If she's handling firearms however while pregnant she does need to be sure and wash her hands and face thoroughly as soon as the hunt is concluded. She should also avoid drinking from any open containers (not capped or in a cooler) that have been exposed to GSR and the same for eating.

No I'm not a doctor but I do understand the potential problems.

10. huntsman22

huntsman22 Well-Known Member

Self test..... submerge yer head in a bucket of amnioutic fluid, and touch one off. No more 'guessing'.....

11. nvschütze

nvschütze Well-Known Member

I am never-married, and no illegitimate kids. Protecting the unborn is our greatest duty as parents and as a People. My worthless opinion is to lay-off anything that can hurt the baby: Booze, smoke, AC/DC's music, et cetera...