Rear shooting rest while hunting

rodneymoncrief

Just wondering what most of you are using as a rear rest while in the field hunting. I have a Javelin Long Bipod that I use as a front rest and I love it because it's light and easily detachable. I have a Bipod Big Buddy and I like the concept of it being light and it doesn't take up much pack space and I have many sandbags that I can use too. Sandbags are heavy and take up a lot of pack space, Bipod Big Buddy, I practiced a lot with, and do well with out to about 600 yards. Just looking for advice on a rear rest that easily deployable and that is light and compact enough for backpack hunting.

I use a Kuiu down vest or jacket that stuffs into it's own pocket. It works great for a rear rest as it's rectangular in shape and you can squeeze it to adjust. On top of that it's super light and great extra piece of gear to have in your pack.

I use a rear bag from TAB Gear. A lot of bags have some kind of lightweight fill nowadays, so they aren't too heavy. I know their Str8Laced one is popular.

A rectangular bag seems to be the most versatile since you never know on what angle you will be shooting when hunting and the different heights make it easy to adapt to most situations. Doesn't really help with a real tall bipod though.

I keep mine in a side stuff pouch on my pack, which is accessible when the pack is on or off. That said, I find that I am much slower getting set up and steady using the bag. If it is a long shot on an animal that is barely moving, no biggie. Shorter shots are just easier to use your fist or unaided.

I use a rock, stump or convenient tree. Have used my back pack and a truck hood too. If you cannot hold steady enough, better quit hunting and become a couch potato. I'm 70 and still steady.
I'm far from a couch potato, LOL. I've shot sheep and goats out to 500 yards off of my backpack. I'm going to Tajikistan in November after Marco Polo sheep and an Ibex and I know shots there can be quite long. I'm always trying to improve my shooting skills and extend my effective range. Thanks for the comments.

Just wondering what most of you are using as a rear rest while in the field hunting. I have a Javelin Long Bipod that I use as a front rest and I love it because it's light and easily detachable. I have a Bipod Big Buddy and I like the concept of it being light and it doesn't take up much pack space and I have many sandbags that I can use too. Sandbags are heavy and take up a lot of pack space, Bipod Big Buddy, I practiced a lot with, and do well with out to about 600 yards. Just looking for advice on a rear rest that easily deployable and that is light and compact enough for backpack hunting.

I have the Lil Bipod Buddy (made in my town) but I have yet to use it during hunting situations.

I carry a couple of empty zippered bags that I can fill with dirt. Got it on Ebay and it weighs next to nothing when empty.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.