rear field rest??

cummins cowboy

what are you guys using for a rear rest when you are hunting out in the field. I have had decent luck with using 2 stoney point bipods just shorten one down and use one also on the rear of the stock for taking a sitting shot. because for me controlling the side to side motion and up and down on the rear of the stock is mainly what I need. I can hit a 12" gong pretty easily this way out to 600 yards. it would be nice if someone would make a small compact bipod for this sort of thing. sort of a mini primos trigger stick would be the ticket.

but what about pone of a harris bipod?? I do have a caldwell bag that is filled with plastic media, any better ideas.

I know what you mean about getting steady when sitting. I like that position for hunting, it gets you above the cover or over the knob to make the shot. I do pretty well with a tight sling, but I would rather use a bipod and that makes for a lot of movement as you say. Of course, I prefer prone and would like to have a monopod that attaches to the rear stud and has a very coarse thread for height adjustment. Now, when out prone, I just use my off hand under the rear. It's not ideal, but it will suffice.

Most of my hunting is mountains , so I try to keep weight down. I hunt w/fanny pack and use it, or one of my layers I shed. My binocs are on QR buckles and I have used them at the back. For light weight you could get a prone model snipe pod and use it on back probably.

RDM: Really interesting set-up. I use the SP RPB already on coyote stands so that end is covered. I just need to work up a tripod head. Thanks for the link.

I have a set up which I feel works quite well and allows for easy adjustment to unlevel terrain. Really simple--front rest is a Trigger stick tri-pod and back rest is a Trigger Stick Bi-pod. Usually set up 30" high to shoot over grass and brush. Carry a small plastic fold up stool (5") to make it a perfect fit and keep me dry.

If you have something else for the front just get that bi-pod for the back. think you will love it. Absolutley nothing to set up and then you can adjust both legs by simply squeezing the trigger/handle and each of the bi-pod legs will adjust to basically the proper length--independently-- to adjust for varitations in elevation. It also adjust for diference in elevation between the front and back rests.

I have a picture, but have never posted a pic. will try to figure it out. best thing about this system is not time to set up, very flexible and not time to adjust the legs.

Almost forgot, after trying a dozen different types of tripods & bipods, settled on this also because they are very stiff, which I find to be critical for a "still" hold.

If your rifle has a bipod why not rest the butt and your chest on your back pack? Here is a short list of some things I keep in my pack to aid in shot set up.

A 6 foot peice of 2" wide line from an old ratchet strap. It can be thrown over low hanging branches and you can rest your rifle on it.
A few diffrent screw in pegs the type used for tree stands also to rest your rifle on.
Small rear bag you can make it your self fill it with rice its light weight old socks work well.

John Burns used that stoney tripod with a trailing arm alot,worked well for him

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.