Scope Lens Covers While Hunting

I hate to be Mr Negative but if you buy Butler Creek buy spares. Numerous times in cold weather I had them snap right at or above the hinge. Properly fitted they stay on but how what's the point of a flip up cover if it comes completely off especially when you are walking.

We pay a lot for good glass I always recommend protecting it.
Spot on WildRose. Either both of us 🇺🇸 & some others are Mr Negatives or were Mr True Review. Unbiased opinions are a great feature of this LRH forum. Protect your @$$, er glass.

Mr. Gillete came up with the idea of a safety razor in the shower. His saying was "success i 10% inspiration and 90% pesrpiration.

I use a Safari sling, so rain and snow doesn't generally get on my lenses. If you're hunting in thick cover, that sling allows you to shoot much faster, with much less movement. My grandson had a shot at an elk at 30 yards, but his sling was caught on his pack frame. I wish I had video.

In really bad weather, I use a Butler Creek bikini scope cover. It is all soft rubber, so I can thread it between the scope and the rifle, so when I jerk it off it doesn' fall to the ground.

Last edited:
From my experience, the use of any see through scope cap defeats the purpose of buying good glass. And the use of the flip up caps add too much to the diameter of the ocular and objective bells, interfering with the field of view. Why spend sometimes a couple thousand $ on glass and then cover it with a <$10 cap? I understand in some conditions caps are needed in extreme hunting situations (I do not have access to hunt those places), but in first 20 of 40+ years of hunting, I tried just about everything that came out that had anything to do with hunting (I probably have 15-20 pairs of BC see through or flip ups sitting in a drawer) and figured out the scope cover method was best for me. As mentioned in another post, in extremely bad weather I do keep a BC bikini in my pack.

From my experience, the use of any see through scope cap defeats the purpose of buying good glass. And the use of the flip up caps add too much to the diameter of the ocular and objective bells, interfering with the field of view. Why spend sometimes a couple thousand $ on glass and then cover it with a <$10 cap? I understand in some conditions caps are needed in extreme hunting situations (I do not have access to hunt those places), but in first 20 of 40+ years of hunting, I tried just about everything that came out that had anything to do with hunting (I probably have 15-20 pairs of BC see through or flip ups sitting in a drawer) and figured out the scope cover method was best for me. As mentioned in another post, in extremely bad weather I do keep a BC bikini in my pack.

The use of see through scope covers are for instances in which you have to throw the gun up and shoot and won't have time to flip them up before shooting. These would be close range shots in heavy cover; as such, the image quality you sacrifice by leaving the see through caps down isn't as impactful as not being able to aim at all because of opaque caps.
When you have time before the shot, you'd flip up the see through caps exactly the same as you would with opaque caps.

As far as covers reducing FOV, unless the caps intrude on the inside of the scope body, which none that I've tried do enough to actually impact use, they wouldn't actually decrease the FOV. They can make it appear like you're looking into a paper towel roll, which I agree is annoying, but that's not actually limiting your FOV, it's more of an illusion.

In the end, I've found my styles of hunting often require the need to cover the lenses, and I've found that the flip up caps are the most efficient way for me to do so. Further, I've had good experiences with the BC covers, but you need to make sure they are well secured to the scope, either through tight fit or electrical tape; otherwise they can partially slip off a bit and get wonky, which causes sealing issues and contributes to the parts breaking unnecessarily.

Last edited:
Whatever one uses, use something all the time to protect those lenses. Actually you are protecting the coatings on the lenses. The coatings separate the good scopes from the great scopes. Learn the manufacturer of your specific scope recommendations for cleaning those lenses. Improper cleaning technique can do as much damage as not using lens covers.
I agree. I almost never clean my scopes. That's why my scopes are covered except when I am going to shoot. If the weather is good I open or remove them while hunting. I have had deer just feet away, it would take too much time, movement and noise to wait until I see the deer.

I almost never use caps.Front carry,put my hand over if brushy.If I have to bust brush in thick I put scope coat on or on one I screw in cover.Im maybe going to try gun bearer,then Id need a front cover on bad days

I actually use these if I'm whitetail hunting from a blind and not doing spot and stalk. Takes 30 seconds to put on but I have peace of mind when in a truck full of folks and guns or in a UTV banging around. I then take it off as soon as I get in the blind.

I have the tennebrex ones that come with with ATACR's and they don't ever come off the rifles, but this extra protection is worth it to me to protect the crown and action/scope without really any added bulk. It also makes it much more comfortable on your knees or legs riding in a truck because it is padded and scopes are not.

i've always and only used a see thru cover on objective lens only since thats the lens facing up when I carry on my shoulder. I never even think about it and dont know if ive ever actually opened it to shoot anything. keeps rain, snow and other debris out. Eyepiece lens doesnt need anything. I keep a lens brush in my pack and check them daily. It just works. K.I.S.S.

I've been back and forth on this for years. I have hunted with and without. Probably 10 years ago, I got scope eyed when I had Bull Fever! I haven't used them since. I just got a New/Used scope today and it came with nice lens covers and I'm rethinking it again. (Because that's what I do) Now that I have bought 4 nice scopes, I thought I'd get other hunters thoughts on hunting with or without them.
I always use scope caps. I am probably in the minority, but I like to use the sun shade on all my scopes because that also keeps the lenses dry when your gun is set up and the scope caps are flipped in bad weather. Keeps the lenses dry and clean and scratch free.

I ordered some fairly expensive see through scope cap's once that promised to solve that issue.

They fell apart in 2 hunts and did not solve the issue.

At best all they are good for is a surprise encounter requiring a quick shot and those that don't fall apart will protect your glass.

I have tried a few of the flip up caps. Tenebraex are best for that, but all still seem to flip up/catch on gear. Now I prefer the ones that are rubber that fit kind of snug. Wrap 550 chord around the scope tube so it doesn't get lost. I believe These are the best for weatherproofing as well.