Scope Lens Covers While Hunting

My scope covers come off when the rifle leaves the bag. Any scope that can't handle a bit of rain, dust, or debris isn't worth owning. Nothing worse than a blocked view when you need to get into action quickly. I've have scopes that have been in use for 30 years without covers and they are still in great condition in every respect.

I always use scope caps now.
When I first started hunting with scoped rifles, I got debris or snow mostly on the objective bell while slinging the rifle, and even on the ocular bell. In removing it, I managed to scratch or scrape off the protective coatings. Scope caps eliminated the problem. It became habit to snap them open while shouldering the rifle for a quick shot, and anytime getting ready to shoot from a rest.

I use Leupold Alumina flip Backs for all Leupold scopes and Butler Creek for others.
And as another poster has said already, most scope covers that come with the scope are not what I prefer. But I would recommend using them regardless what make scope because most blockages occur without your knowledge, and you only find out that your scope view is jacked up when it's time to shoot!

. Not sure how the increase the chance of getting scoped?
Scope cover Had nothing to do with my scar as I wasn't using one. Even if I had one it would not have helped keep the rain off. Kinda glad I got it how I did. One of three times I was shooting right side by side with my brother and we killed two bulls both our first elk ever. On 3.....1 2 BOOM BOOM BOOM. 3 shots two dead bulls about 10 yards apart.

I use a neoprene scope cover until I get to the stand. Then it goes into my pack until I'm loading up at the end of the day. I keep a camera lens cleaning kit with me if something gets on the lens that interferes with my view. It has a fine brush with a blower bulb. It has handled everything for me for 40 years.

For those that complain about the covers moving, it's a simple fix - tape or silicone plumbers tape that only sticks to itself. You'll be all set.

I've ran a couple sets of the BC Element series, and they have worked well. They affix to the scope with a longer, softer rubber gasket that seals well and really holds the caps on. I've tried about everything available but still use the BC's most often. They do sometimes leave some to be desired, but overall they work about as well as anything else.

For rifles that get used for quick shots at moving game in thick cover, such tracking in the snow, I use the Blizzards. I learned quick when tracking in the snow through dense growth that a scope cover is a must. Further, my tracking rifles all have QD rings and back up peep sights because sometimes the snow just gets piled onto the scope so bad that even with caps it's not that useful.

Really liked the Leupold Alumina, but lost the faith in the scopes they attach to.

As I see it you absolutely need two scope caps to protect the lenses from rain, snow, dust, etc.
I use a VORTEX rear cap with a VORTEX yellow "hold over" disc in it. Send VORTEX yer actual 9tested) holds on 50 or 100 yard increments. Combined with a laser rangefinder and a decent "Xmas tree" reticle like G3, for example, and you will find it helps greatly in shot placement.

My scope covers come off when the rifle leaves the bag. Any scope that can't handle a bit of rain, dust, or debris isn't worth owning. Nothing worse than a blocked view when you need to get into action quickly. I've have scopes that have been in use for 30 years without covers and they are still in great condition in every respect.
The problem isn't with a "bit". It's when the entire objective is packed with snow or covered over with mud.

The problem isn't with a "bit". It's when the entire objective is packed with snow or covered over with mud.
Lol.... I guess conditions vary and we do what's relevant for where we are. I have seen too many opportunities for a shot go begging from guys trying to open their scope covers when they needed to be shooting, and there was no valid reason to have covers on in the first place.

I've been back and forth on this for years. I have hunted with and without. Probably 10 years ago, I got scope eyed when I had Bull Fever! I haven't used them since. I just got a New/Used scope today and it came with nice lens covers and I'm rethinking it again. (Because that's what I do) Now that I have bought 4 nice scopes, I thought I'd get other hunters thoughts on hunting with or without them.
Leupold Flip up's on all my Leupold's and aftermarkets on the rest.

The only scopes that ever really bit me had no covers on them at all.

I agree, hate them and never use them. Tried once and when I wanted to use the scope the lenses were fogged with condensation. Rain drops you can look through...
Holy moly man, been using it for a walking stick? 😅.

I agree with go all the way. Ténébreux are quite good while Butler Creek covers are poor quality - easily come off. I use Leupold's threaded flip up covers on my L scopes. High quality aluminum covers that won't go MIA.
I hate to be Mr Negative but if you buy Butler Creek buy spares. Numerous times in cold weather I had them snap right at or above the hinge. Properly fitted they stay on but how what's the point of a flip up cover if it comes completely off especially when you are walking.

We pay a lot for good glass I always recommend protecting it.

I wish it was that easy.
If it were easy everyone would be Bill Gates. It's the difference between the "can" and "wish it were that easy" mindset. Figure it out. A lot of people have ideas, far fewer have initiative.