Savage rifles ... the most accurate out-of-the-box ?

So you buy it to rebuild it? Seems rather "silk purse" to me? When you want to upgrade it's not going to return what you have in it.And everyone has their eye on something else!
Like a Ruger 1911 type you can re-bush.. trigger job..change sights but it will never be an Ed Brown..But it's your money buy as you wish!

Thanks.

I have 2 nephews who are into long range shoots. And based solely on what I've read, I made the bold statement that Savage produces, 2nd to none but expensive custom jobs, the most accurate "out of the box" rifles on the market. Now this is primarily based on one factor in particular, the barrel nut for precise headspacing, and on 2 other lesser factors, the accu-trigger and the accu-stock.

Problem is in some recent articles in RIFLE magazine, one about a .30-06 Model 110 and the other about a 6.5-284 Norma Model 111 showing about 1 MoA. The .30-06 with a 180 gr. bullet had 2 MoA.

What's the consensus about the Savage claim to accuracy?

BTW, yes, I aware of the perils of making bold statements not based on experience. Just couldn't resist.
I've got a model 11 243 youth model that I paid under $500 for. It's my teenage sons rifle and the darn thing shoots 1/2" groups all day long. Shot a cow elk ar 430 yards last year and dropped her where she stood.

Savage LRH 6.5 Creedmoor out of the box with factory ammo. My first savage and I am a little happy :)
IMG_1690.jpg

I recently bought an MPA light chassis and dropped my 6.5x284 into it. Having taking a liking to my PRS/6.5x47, I thought I would give one a try this coming Hunting season. Weighs in the same as the OEM stock. Accuracy is the same.

E2961938-959B-4E8E-A5D3-018D029E744C.jpeg E731A377-7197-4BBA-B4F0-9E95E6BFDB40.jpeg

I recently bought an MPA light chassis and dropped my 6.5x284 into it. Having taking a liking to my PRS/6.5x47, I thought I would give one a try this coming Hunting season. Weighs in the same as the OEM stock. Accuracy is the same.

View attachment 98539 View attachment 98540
Yeah, I suppose its a keeper. Just barely! HEHEHE
Mighty fine turd there my friend.

My very first deer rifle was a Savage 111 in .270 Winchester when I was 26 and just learning to hunt with my friends. I didn't grow up hunting and only had a model 25 Marlin .22 from the time I was 10 until I bought that Savage, so my learning curve was steep and that Savage was priced right for a guy who didn't know the difference between a $300 rifle and a $10k rifle. And it came with a scope...and shot Remington Core-Lokt ammo under MOA...all for about $300. I shot many deer and hogs with that rifle before I decided I liked the aesthetics and bolt feel of the Rem700. Out of the box, the Savage required nothing and my seasoned hunting buddies were beyond impressed with how well it shot. I kind of miss that rifle now. I have several Remingtons now that I love but all have required work to get to shooting where they are now. I've made very good friends with my gunsmith as a result, so I'm thankful for that.

Still, the Savage tugs at my heart a bit from time to time, so I just bought another one- .338 Lapua 110 FCP with the HS Precision stock. If it's half as accurate as that old .270win was, I'll be beyond happy with it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.