most accurate 223 out of the box

dambo1969

hi and g day from Aus,I'm looking at buying an extremely accurate 223 straight from the box,our gun laws are very different to yours,any ideas?i will be shooting roos,foxes hares etc

do the laws prohibit or control barrels or actions or both?

If only Action. then Savage would be a good way to have multiple options on caliber.

Easy to switch barrels....

I have a Tikka T3 tactical, nothing has been done to it. Consistently shoots less than 1/2 inch groups at 100 with reloads. Fun to shoot, one of my favoritesgun)

Last edited:
I once had a 20 inch barrel out of the box .223 Savage that I won some bench rest matches with. It was a consistent 1/2 MOA gun. I sold it to a friend and he contunies to win matches with it.

I just finished making the same decision, and in the end the Tikka T3 Scout with the 20" barrel was what I chose. The 1-8 twist will allow a bit more bullet choice. I've got exactly 5 rounds through it sighting in, but the way everything tracked has me very hopeful. The wind here has been up, but when it clears a bit, I'll post results.

I bought a FN TSR 20" barrel about a year ago for a throw behind the seat gun. I'm really happy with this weapon. 1/2" groups with my reloads. Topped with Leupold 4.5/14 with the TMR reticle.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.