Savage rifles ... the most accurate out-of-the-box ?

Counting the 6.5 CM just picked up for my wife, we have four Savages. All different models and different calibers. Each will group under 1/2 MOA Unlike other named brands, Winchester, Remington and yes even Weatherby I have not needed to do more than do load development for each. That said, I haven't tried factory ammo to compare.

Every Remington I own will group under 1/2 MOA with handloads... Most with minimum load development.

Had 1 Remington that wouldn't shoot, so I pulled the factory .338 WinMag barrel and put a 7mm RemMag barrel on it. No more problems.

My Weatherby Accumark that I owned from 2008-2014 had a factory defect barrel, and it went south after about 75 rounds. At first it shot about MOA, then it gradually degraded to 2+ MOA...Even with handloads. Told Weatherby about it, the person there basically told me "tough crap, it worked fine when it left hte factory", so I sold it back to the store I bought it from new, and won't be buying another one.

Last edited:
Tikka sure is giving every other factory rifle a run for their money in the accuracy department.

If I were going to buy a under $1000 factory rifle dedicated to long range shooting, I'd start and end with a Tikka T3X CTR 24" SS 6.5 Creedmoor.

I've owned a lot of custom rifles.. The Tikka T3X CTR Stainless 6.5CM I have right now is second to one rifle built by Tanner Overholser.

Well guys, talk about out a box accuracy!
I just bought a low end, and it pains me to say it like that, because there us a lot of quality, in this rifle anyway. It is a Savage 10SBA, whish is a Dicks special. Twenty inch, 10 twist, non accustock, with accu trigger.
I purchased a box of Federal Non Typical, 150 grain soft point bullets, to break it in. Well, long story short, I shot four back to back groups, 3 shot, that a dime, would nearly cover.
The barrel cleaned, like a dream, and is smooth from breech to muzzle, no rollercoaster, or tight spots. This is a blind magizine, stagger feed. It fed and ejected flawlessly, on every attempt.
In a rifle like this, I expected a little less performance then what I got. The stock has a lot to be desired, but a Boyd AtOne, will take care of that. I'm truly impressed, as this is my building block, but actually dosent need much to really make it shoot!
Call me a barrel nut crank from now on!
Looking for a long action now!
HEHEHE!

My brother had a Savage .22 and it would not shoot less than about 3 MOA. I have always distrusted Savage but maybe I'm wrong :)

My brother just got a new savage 308 chassis. With factory 165 grain Nosler Accubonds it shot consistently under half an inch. This is the only ammo he tried. He dead centered an eight inch plate at 500 first time he dialed it. Pretty sweet rig.

Previously, in this thread, I stated that I had bought a Savage 10 SBA, in .308.
Well, barrel is broken in nicely, and I shot some groups yesterday, handloads, finally, and this thing blew me away.
My load, using a couple of components, that I've never used yet, consisted of
44.7 grains Shooters World, Match.
175 grain Nosler RDF.
FEDERAL twice fired brass.
CCI, Br2 primers.
Oal, 2.895.
Long story short, it shot into a HOLE. Repeated!
This is Package rifle, scope has been upgraded, no other changes. Stock is original, non accustock. Tactical, 20 inch.
I'm impressed, but not really surprised. The barrel nut clan, has taught me a thing or two, and I'm hooked. These things are for real. This thing didn't cost $500.
I've had customs that didn't shoot this good!

Still want to put a Boyd's AtOne on it? :D
Funny you should ask! I was asking myself that very question yesteday.
Another side note to yesterdays outting, my uncle just bought a Remmy, 5r, with Vortex high dollar scope. My rifle, actually shot better then his. He was smoking!!!!!!!
I may still replace stock, not the pressure to do so is off.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.