Savage rifles ... the most accurate out-of-the-box ?

What was the distance? 100 yrds?
Yes. Just trying to get a few consistent loads, then I'll step out the distance.
Loaded more of the load that did so well, and plan on doing a few other combos, and shoot 200, and 300. This load will not be my hunting load, obviously, but it's a great steel shooting load.

My big problem with Savage is that there is practally no resale value!
Once you buy it you are stuck with it..Like it or not?
You cant sell it cheap unless you make it cheap! I've had a couple of their rifles one was a Weather Warrior in .300 RUM and it was the hardest kicking darn gun I ever owned
It's gone! The stock was terrible!
I would rather buy a 1963 Browning any day...

Last edited:
You cant sell it cheap unless you make it cheap! I've had a couple of their rifles one was a Weather Warrior in .300 RUM and it was the hardest kicking darn gun I ever owned

Who in their right mind would sell their Savage? SACRILEGE!!!

See #11!

So you buy it to rebuild it? Seems rather "silk purse" to me? When you want to upgrade it's not going to return what you have in it.And everyone has their eye on something else!
Like a Ruger 1911 type you can re-bush.. trigger job..change sights but it will never be an Ed Brown..But it's your money buy as you wish!

What I find interesting with savage barrels is that every one i've put my borescope down was how crappie they looked. Typically have chatter type marks the full length. Despite that mine have all been sub-moa. On the other hand i've had great looking barrels that wouldn't shoot worth crap. I tell my buddies that the chatter marks reduce friction and increase velocity :rolleyes:
I've been told the "chatter" marks come from hammer forging which apparently significantly reduces time to make the barrel. It makes the rifling look a little wonky but doesn't seem to affect accuracy. Thoughts?

So you buy it to rebuild it? Seems rather "silk purse" to me? When you want to upgrade it's not going to return what you have in it.And everyone has their eye on something else!
Like a Ruger 1911 type you can re-bush.. trigger job..change sights but it will never be an Ed Brown..But it's your money buy as you wish!

The barrel NUT brotherhood knows exactly what they're doing and its returns, not to mention the satisfaction of building it themselves and of course they flat out shoot!

Them TURDS simply R;)CKS!

I'm sitting here trying to remember the last time I sold a rifle. It's been years, I've traded for other guns. But i never bought a rifle, thinking about what the resale value might be. I always bought rifles, wondering what I might rebarrel to next. That's the whole point of me liking/buying Savage. But I'm a tinkerer, and love building Savage rifles.

I used to think the same thing, or similar to that. The one I own, is not , or was not bought to be sold, it was bought to upgrade.
As far as shoot, mine shoots better then some of my builds, out of the box, and it isn't fancy.....YET, but it shoots very tiny groups, that rival top tier off the shelf premium guns.
Not selling mine, H.E., double hockey sticks , NO!
HEHEHE!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.