Savage rifles ... the most accurate out-of-the-box ?

jski

I have 2 nephews who are into long range shoots. And based solely on what I've read, I made the bold statement that Savage produces, 2nd to none but expensive custom jobs, the most accurate "out of the box" rifles on the market. Now this is primarily based on one factor in particular, the barrel nut for precise headspacing, and on 2 other lesser factors, the accu-trigger and the accu-stock.

Problem is in some recent articles in RIFLE magazine, one about a .30-06 Model 110 and the other about a 6.5-284 Norma Model 111 showing about 1 MoA. The .30-06 with a 180 gr. bullet had 2 MoA.

What's the consensus about the Savage claim to accuracy?

BTW, yes, I aware of the perils of making bold statements not based on experience. Just couldn't resist.

Barrel quality, assembly and ammo have the most bearing on accuracy, not the brand.

I have had some great shooters over the years and they have wore many names. at present the Savages appear to be "One" of the more accurate over the counter rifles and also the Weatherby Vanguard.

In my circle of friends, the vanguard has the edge in accuracy. If you are looking for sub MOA there are plenty of choices. if you are looking for sub 1/2 MOA it is a pig in a poke as to which one you get.

The absolute most accurate rifle I ever bought was a Remington 700 using factory ammo. The most accurate across the counter rifle using re loads was a Weatherby Mark 5. Both rifles shot less than 1/10 MOA (- .100 thousandths).

Savage appeals to many that Like to mess with different rifles but are not Gunsmiths and cant chamber and thread barrels. The barrel nut aids in assembly for these folks and makes it interesting and fun (What's not to like about these features for some). Savage designed there system for ease of assembly at the factory and not to require a gunsmith to assemble, not accuracy. just like the interchamble bolt face. These ideas turned out to be a great cost savings, lowering the price and increasing the profits (Something others have tried with very little success). From an all out accuracy standpoint, it does however add more chances of misalignment.

Triggers are another thing altogether, and are a personal preference.
Some like the Accutrigger and some don't. It is just a safe way to get the trigger pull down to low weights safely. and still have a standard 6 to 8 pound trigger when carrying it around. Most triggers are safe if left alone and not adjusted to below there safe design.

I personally don't believe that any one brand of rifle is more accurate than another. It is all luck in how all the parts come together and which one you get as to the rifles accuracy.

Stocks are another area that depend on fit and design to aid accuracy. one stoch is no more accurate that another if it holds the action in exactly the same place every time it is fired, does not add stress to the action or barrel and fits the style of shooting and the shooter best.

This post is not intended to poor mouth any brand of rifle, just to point out that different people will have different opinions about which is best in their minds and their experiences.

In my opinion the best and the favorite, is the one that shoots the best for me and not one that someone else said was the best.
It is just more of the Chevy versus Ford versus Dodge debate in my opinion

Just My opinion

J E CUSTOM

I have 2 nephews who are into long range shoots. And based solely on what I've read, I made the bold statement that Savage produces, 2nd to none but expensive custom jobs, the most accurate "out of the box" rifles on the market. Now this is primarily based on one factor in particular, the barrel nut for precise headspacing, and on 2 other lesser factors, the accu-trigger and the accu-stock.

Problem is in some recent articles in RIFLE magazine, one about a .30-06 Model 110 and the other about a 6.5-284 Norma Model 111 showing about 1 MoA. The .30-06 with a 180 gr. bullet had 2 MoA.

What's the consensus about the Savage claim to accuracy?

BTW, yes, I aware of the perils of making bold statements not based on experience. Just couldn't resist.

I take accuracy and reloading data shown in the "popular" shooting/gun magazines with a grain of salt! Do some searching on this site and you will get a much better understanding of what you can expect from the various factory rifles.

Roll the dice with factory rifles.
There are some components like a stock that supports the action and properly free floats the barrel that brings consistent accuracy to the table, but I think it's just how the parts come together.
My sako a7 outshoots my buddies Bergara hmr. His 308 milspec outshoots my 308 milspec. Such is life lol

What I find interesting with savage barrels is that every one i've put my borescope down was how crappie they looked. Typically have chatter type marks the full length. Despite that mine have all been sub-moa. On the other hand i've had great looking barrels that wouldn't shoot worth crap. I tell my buddies that the chatter marks reduce friction and increase velocity :rolleyes:

My biggest problem with savage is there resell value. Can't hardly give them away when trying to sell them. Now make it a ruger or rem and its no problem getting rid of them for a decent price.

The only two savages I've owned. You can draw your own conclusion.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    666.7 KB · Views: 1,599
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    868.1 KB · Views: 1,609
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    340.8 KB · Views: 1,902
My worst experience with factory barrels was with Remington. Took three barrels to get the new 700 to shoot. The third barrel was a new one that was about 10 years old. The first two were the original as received and one replaced by Remington.

My biggest problem with savage is there resell value. Can't hardly give them away when trying to sell them. Now make it a ruger or rem and its no problem getting rid of them for a decent price.

Most Savage owners "I" know don't buy Savage rifles for their resale value. They are very DIY friendly and so most turns them to something even better when it is time to re-barrel.

From another website:

Alright guys, you all have convinced me that the barrel nut is a unique advantage. Savage never had the 1, 2, or 3 lemons out of every 100 manufactured rifles that Winchester or Remington had ... until they bought more advanced machining equipment.
Savage developed a unique method of manufacturing rifles that greatly reduced the need for precision machining and assembly. Most notably the floating bolt face and barrel nut. This allowed Savage to build a very accurate rifle at a significantly reduced price compared to other designs.
Sounds like a better design to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.