getting the most out of 2,500

When I hear elk and long range I think 2 things. 1- big .30 cal min 2-stainless. Elk are in the mountains (most of the time) and mountains have rain. I like stainless rifles for the rain.
I also like big"ish" guns for elk (providing you can shoot them). If not for the the Long range Energy, the close range- stop that frigging bear- energy. I know it doesnt happen to most, but I have had enough encounters with grizz that I like more than the ole' trust 30-06.

I love my gun. I also like recoil alot more than most. I have a .338 RUM XCR with a 2" radial break (next one wont have porting on the bottom). I still have the factory stock, but put alot of elbow grease into it. I am buying a B+C thumbhole in the near future though.
It wears a Mark 4 leupold 4-14*50 with M1 turrets. I like the scope, but I think I will change it out for a 2.5-10*40 of some sort to reduce *bulk* (bulk bad-wieght good).
This rifle is bomb proof, and I have shot game out to 600 yards with it, and rocks/steel to 1100. I would shoot game at 1000 if the chance arose, just hasnt yet.

Nobody?? :D

Good for you on the elk, moose, deer out to 400 yds. No Problem here.

But this is Long Range Hunting. 1000 Yard shots are on the table.
Your 30-06 with a 168 A Max is down to 1150 FPE by 700 yards.
And down to 670 FPE at 1000. So you would probably want to call 600 yards the practical limit for your rifle.

I shot 30-06 team rifle at 600 yards with 150 gr ammo. So I got a clue.
Even my 7mm mag starts to fall off the table around 700 yards.

My point is if I want to kill elk at 1000 yards I will need a 338 mag especially if there is any wind at all. lightbulb

Happy shooting
No it's not a "need" at 1,000yds. At 1,000yds even the 300wm will do the job and the 300 RUM will get you to 1,200 without a hitch.

I won't knock anyone who WANTS to go big but if I were going to go any bigger than the 300 RUM I'd go all the way and build a .375 Cheytac. Because I need it? No because if I was going to go for a whopper I'm going all the way.

There is nothing on the continent the 300 Rum cannot handle well and with authority at 1,000yds. Unless you are looking at full value winds in excess of 20mph there's no big difference between the two other than a few more clicks of windage adjustment. For those of you that have all the best gear including ballistics calculators and weather meters and range finders capable of accuracy and consistency shooting beyond 1,200 meters on game isn't even feasible. If you have all that like I said, it's just a few more clicks.

No it's not a "need" at 1,000yds. At 1,000yds even the 300wm will do the job and the 300 RUM will get you to 1,200 without a hitch.

I won't knock anyone who WANTS to go big but if I were going to go any bigger than the 300 RUM I'd go all the way and build a .375 Cheytac. Because I need it? No because if I was going to go for a whopper I'm going all the way.

There is nothing on the continent the 300 Rum cannot handle well and with authority at 1,000yds. Unless you are looking at full value winds in excess of 20mph there's no big difference between the two other than a few more clicks of windage adjustment. For those of you that have all the best gear including ballistics calculators and weather meters and range finders capable of accuracy and consistency shooting beyond 1,200 meters on game isn't even feasible. If you have all that like I said, it's just a few more clicks.
I agree.....but. I have used both combos to take over a hundred animals apeice. The 338 just works better at LR. Yep the 300 will do it (so will my 6-284) but when you trigger a shot at 978 yds and you hear it hit you KNOW with a 338 its a dead critter.
Heck if you shoot long range a lot why WOULDNT you go 338? Only reasons are: recoil,weight,cost..
Recoil.....Static 20+lb gun
weight......static who cares
cost.....300 gr aint that much more
Everyone likes to act like a 338 IS TOO MUCH. What does that mean? Is that like too much candy?Whiskey?Carmen Electra? How can you have too much? I would go with the 375 but the smk is getting reports I dont like on expansion.
A 338 is so far past a 300 that it might as welll be a different class of firearm. Yes a 300 will have plenty of medicine at 1k. The 338 has room at 1000. Room for a little ooopps. Ill take it all day long. And why build a 300 anyway?
ENERGY........338
WINDAGE.....338
PENETRATION....338
PERFORMANCE AT 1500....338 ONCE YOU HIT 1K 1500 WILL BE ON THE PLATE
RECOIL.....TIE
GUN WEIGHT......300
1.5 outa 6 aint bad but its a loss.
I know its radical but there would be a lot less silly (my bullet didnt work) threads if everyone recognized that the 338 is the ANSWER to 1k. Everything else is a baby gun.
Use em if you like but realize that any problems you have at 1k with a 300 you probably wouldnt have with a 338.

Standard 338 Win Mag with either a 225grn bullet or the better 250grn bullet. Put a muzzle break on it. Have at'er. Just do lots of practicing at that distsance.

I agree.....but. I have used both combos to take over a hundred animals apeice. The 338 just works better at LR. Yep the 300 will do it (so will my 6-284) but when you trigger a shot at 978 yds and you hear it hit you KNOW with a 338 its a dead critter.
Heck if you shoot long range a lot why WOULDNT you go 338? Only reasons are: recoil,weight,cost..
Recoil.....Static 20+lb gun
weight......static who cares
cost.....300 gr aint that much more
Everyone likes to act like a 338 IS TOO MUCH. What does that mean? Is that like too much candy?Whiskey?Carmen Electra? How can you have too much? I would go with the 375 but the smk is getting reports I dont like on expansion.
A 338 is so far past a 300 that it might as welll be a different class of firearm. Yes a 300 will have plenty of medicine at 1k. The 338 has room at 1000. Room for a little ooopps. Ill take it all day long. And why build a 300 anyway?
ENERGY........338
WINDAGE.....338
PENETRATION....338
PERFORMANCE AT 1500....338 ONCE YOU HIT 1K 1500 WILL BE ON THE PLATE
RECOIL.....TIE
GUN WEIGHT......300
1.5 outa 6 aint bad but its a loss.
I know its radical but there would be a lot less silly (my bullet didnt work) threads if everyone recognized that the 338 is the ANSWER to 1k. Everything else is a baby gun.
Use em if you like but realize that any problems you have at 1k with a 300 you probably wouldnt have with a 338.
I never said it's "too much" It's just not necessary.

I've had no issues to 1,000yds or beyond with the 300 Rum, nor the 7mm STW for that matter.

If I were regularly trying to take large bears, moose, elk beyond 1,000 yds I'd go bigger, but I'm not and never will.

I never said it's "too much" It's just not necessary.

I've had no issues to 1,000yds or beyond with the 300 Rum, nor the 7mm STW for that matter.

If I were regularly trying to take large bears, moose, elk beyond 1,000 yds I'd go bigger, but I'm not and never will.

I felt the same way till I got one. You would super love a 338 with your big hogs. I think youll be surprised by the 338. I was not mentally ready for the jump from the 300s. I wasnt ready to see a round do more damage than my 50BMG did. You may not need it but it sure makes life a lot easier at any range. The best and most unspoken reason for a 338 is that it is so forgiving.
Powder charge a tenth off? No big. Wind call 20% off? No prob.Gun dirty?Send it. Animal takes a step. Big hole. I know its hedonistic but the dang things work like an atom bomb on game and are easy in every aspect cep bullet cost and blast. I eat the bullets and own **** nice muffs.

Ive got to agree with toddc, although i dont shoot nearly as many animals as him, the big 338's are awesome. Here is an example, this season i gut shot an antelope doe at 486 yards using a 338 Lapua and 280 grain Barnes LRX she either took a step when i pulled the trigger or i pulled the shot (made a perfect double lung shot on another doe just 30 seconds earlier). The shot went about 30" back from the shoulder and about 4" above the bottom of her gut, she just stood their with her stomach and intestines hanging out of the 4" hole in her side so i shot her again this time in the neck because i corrected for a wind that wasnt there. I am not proud of the shot but i feel the sheer power of the 338 Lapua and 280 grain LRX saved my butt there.

Riley

Ive got to agree with toddc, although i dont shoot nearly as many animals as him, the big 338's are awesome. Here is an example, this season i gut shot an antelope doe at 486 yards using a 338 Lapua and 280 grain Barnes LRX she either took a step when i pulled the trigger or i pulled the shot (made a perfect double lung shot on another doe just 30 seconds earlier). The shot went about 30" back from the shoulder and about 4" above the bottom of her gut, she just stood their with her stomach and intestines hanging out of the 4" hole in her side so i shot her again this time in the neck because i corrected for a wind that wasnt there. I am not proud of the shot but i feel the sheer power of the 338 Lapua and 280 grain LRX saved my butt there.

Riley

338 and 300gr SMK has saved me many a time not including the times the hit was ok because of the flight characteristics of the bullet also. And yes it can turn a gut hit into a ok result (Never lost one with a 338)(dont plan on it with any gun).

I felt the same way till I got one. You would super love a 338 with your big hogs. I think youll be surprised by the 338. I was not mentally ready for the jump from the 300s. I wasnt ready to see a round do more damage than my 50BMG did. You may not need it but it sure makes life a lot easier at any range. The best and most unspoken reason for a 338 is that it is so forgiving.
Powder charge a tenth off? No big. Wind call 20% off? No prob.Gun dirty?Send it. Animal takes a step. Big hole. I know its hedonistic but the dang things work like an atom bomb on game and are easy in every aspect cep bullet cost and blast. I eat the bullets and own **** nice muffs.
I've shot the .338's. I've shot the .375's. I've shot the .416's and I've shot the 50BMG.

I've recorded kills in excess of 1,300yds with a 300wm.

The 300wm and 300Rum are more than adequate for all of my needs as they are for 99plus percent of long range hunters.

Those that wish and have the ability to push the bounds are more than welcome to whatever calibers they feel are required but no, they are not necessary even for Elk at 1,000yds.

Even the RUM gave me a complete pass through on an 800lbs plus boar at over 800yds.

More power than that is simply not needed for all but a tiny handful of applications.

i realize that recoil is a issue when it comes to the .300rum, 338rum, .338LM, 338edge etc.... Some are more sensitive to it, i myself am a bit sensitive after 10 yrs of not hunting and shooting. So i have heard and read so many posts about how there .338 shoot like a .308 or even 7mm and even as low as .243, I understand that a good break for any rifle would solve this problem even if one would need to try several diff types of brakes to see which one would work for his application even if he did want a 10-12 lb rifle. For 2500$ I agree that he could find nice .338edge or even his .338lm in that weight class and still be able to shoot it well with the right break. but the extra weight will help. my .01 cents worth so maybe he should buy t rifles one for medium rang and one for long range? sound like good enough reason to me :D of course the best brakes in the world wont make ya a better shot so it wont make a diff if ya cant shoot the gun no matter what it is. hope all had a Merry cristmas

I dont know in this day and age why anyone would have a hard kicking rifle. You can look at a brake and pretty well figure its effect. I guess guys who have guns that kick havent thought about a lot of things related to LRH with a brake. My 6-284 has a brake on it. Everything in LRH calls for a brake. If you dont use one you are shooting a gun thats too small, beating yourself for no reason and slowing down your follow up.

Well its a done deal I went with a Savage 338 laupa with the hs stock and a vortex viper 6x24x50 pst ffp in moa. It all came together for the $ 2500.00 . I would like to thank you all for taking the time to share info. At times I came real close to going way over the budget with a nightforce scope but felt I need to save for a good range finder. Im going to buy 100 rounds of Laupa brass a friend will share his reloading room with me untill I get my own set up.

Well its a done deal I went with a Savage 338 laupa with the hs stock and a vortex viper 6x24x50 pst ffp in moa. It all came together for the $ 2500.00 . I would like to thank you all for taking the time to share info. At times I came real close to going way over the budget with a nightforce scope but felt I need to save for a good range finder. Im going to buy 100 rounds of Laupa brass a friend will share his reloading room with me untill I get my own set up.
So you made it past all the "you dont NEED a 338 posts" GOOD JOB! You are gonna love it. The killing power and shootability of these guns has to be seen to be believed. I have 10 guys that hunt with me. Every one of them when they get in the truck asks what we are using that day. When I say anything but 338 they frown. And the stuff they frown about is 300 ultras, 7 stw etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.