Ruger accuracy

chad44

I own an older ruger m77 in 243. It is totally stock and shoots minute of deer. I would like to make it a shooter. I have asked several people and the general saying is that most guys won't work on a ruger action. Is it necessary to blue print this or would swapping the barrel and stock be sufficient? I don't want to break the bank but is putting a high end barrel on an untrued action pointless?

i have one in 7mm mag that i recently pillar/glass bedded and free floated. im waiting to get enough cash together for a scope to see if my efforts paid off. if that is something you might be interested in doing it really wasnt that hard to do.

I get many Ruger rifles in trade that "won't shoot", most will.
worth while to do a few things before bbl/true/etc.
1. replace trigger (I like Rifle Basix for Ruger)
2. bed action/float bbl.
3 re-crown bbl.

most times this helps tremendously.

I have 2 older Ruger 77 MKII rifles. One is a 7mm RemMag, and the other is 7mm-08. Both are the stainless with the black plastic skeleton stocks. They are both 90's model guns. They are both tack drivers, even with the factory lightweight plastic stocks.

My 7Mag will shoot 1 ragged hole groups if I use my handloads, and I do my part. The 7mm-08 will shoot 1/2 MOA groups, which is still not bad at all, considering it weighs about 5 lbs.

How many rounds have you shot through it? Is the barrel shot out?

I had one in 300 win mag that I made more accurate by selling it and buying something accurate :).

My issue is just time and effort: I have very little spare time to screw around with something that needs special treatment and my particular Ruger rifle did. I'd shoot two rounds pretty accurately then the third shot was WAY off. I still wonder if it was me and the other folks shooting the rifle (all same results) or the rifle itself.

I talked to lots of people who have them that love them and others that will never buy one again. Lots of people in Alaska swear by them. Prior replies show that there are things you can do to make them accurate and that some are already tack drivers.

If/when I get time I'd really like to have a tack driver Ruger, I really like their actions, the company and the tough simplicity of the M77.

Best of luck on yours, hope it works out great.

I am having grouping issues with my new (to me) Rem 700 .338 WinMag.

As far as a cold bore shot.....Dead-nuts! But guessing where shots 2 & 3 are gonna land is a crap-shoot.

Good thing I have no interest in the caliber, so I just shot up all the ammo I was given when I bought it, and will be rebarreling it with a new aftermarket barrel, truing the action, and turning it into something REALLY accurate. Most likely a lightweight .257 Wby Mag.

I have 2 older Ruger 77 MKII rifles. One is a 7mm RemMag, and the other is 7mm-08. Both are the stainless with the black plastic skeleton stocks. They are both 90's model guns. They are both tack drivers, even with the factory lightweight plastic stocks.

My 7Mag will shoot 1 ragged hole groups if I use my handloads, and I do my part. The 7mm-08 will shoot 1/2 MOA groups, which is still not bad at all, considering it weighs about 5 lbs.

How many rounds have you shot through it? Is the barrel shot out?

I honestly couldn't begin to tell you the round count. I bought this new when I was 16 years old and I'm 34 now. I've shot the crap out of it. I'd like to rebarrel with a longer heavier barrel and buy a new stock and call it good. Blue printing is the big question as to if I really shoot just do it or try it first. I own the same m77 mark 2 in a varmint 223 heavy barrel and it shoots lights out. Most accurate rifle I own.

I like Rugers, I have a bunch. Mostly pistols but a few rifles. A lowly 10-22 with all the Volquartsen stuff that shoots lights out too...lol

and, of all things a Mini14 Target in 223 that ASI massaged for me. It's past 'lights out' On handloads it will put 10 right down the same hole at 100 yards (and it's a semi-auto). Wasn't a cheap date but it's a fun date

I honestly couldn't begin to tell you the round count. I bought this new when I was 16 years old and I'm 34 now. I've shot the crap out of it. I'd like to rebarrel with a longer heavier barrel and buy a new stock and call it good. Blue printing is the big question as to if I really shoot just do it or try it first. I own the same m77 mark 2 in a varmint 223 heavy barrel and it shoots lights out. Most accurate rifle I own.

Yes, you can true the actions. You will probably want to find an older smith with lots of experience under his belt. I have found the older smiths who still use the manual lathes and mills REALLY know how to build a rifle. I am going to try to get my smith to teach me a few things about truing actions and building a custom rifle. He's been building rifles for me for 11 years. Maybe if I help, he'll cut me a good deal...Then again, he might charge me double! LOL :D I've been wanting to learn gunsmithing for years, but don't know how to even get started.

The Rugers use a Mouser 98 style action, which has been around since the 1890's. It's probably killed more game and been used for more custom rifles than any other action in history. Any smith worth his salt should know how to true one up.

grouping problem issue* was/is the barrel free floated? when i did the bedding and free floating work on mine ( 7mm mag M77 early mid 80s model with wood stock & adjustable trigger) i could see it where the barrel was hitting in a couple different places on the stock. from what i was told and it makes sense, as the barrel warms up with the shots it will flex whatever way from the pressure the stock is putting on it. might be somethign to look at.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.