Ruger #1 accuracy

Most do require some work to shoot well. My stainless standard in 30-06 was no different. 2" group with most loads, some 3". And group shift with weather. Read and read about them. Then one spring day, started on it. Took it apart, did trigger job down to 2lbs, sanded out forend for complete barrel float, even at reciever/barrel, then bedded stock end to reciever and forend to reciever and barrel at back of forend and around hanger screw. Now it shoots .75" to 1" 3 shot groups with near any load. And never in the 11 years has it had a shift of zero. When forend was touching barrel. Almost every weather change the gun would shift POI by 1 to 2". There is a great deal of satisfaction working on your own guns and making them your weapon with your touch. MY Ruger No.1 is my customized to me favorite gun!

I have wanted a no.1 since I first laid eyes on one. I want one in a large caliber and don't care how it shoots. I will never get to hunt with it anymore.....but still want one.
You could buy this one and bore/chamber to 35 Whelen. There's plenty of barrel.

i have a older ruger # 3 in 45-70 thats in factory condition(no rework at all) and its a truely amazing rifle. 50 grs H-4198 and hornady 300gr FP bullets and it shoots like this year in and year out. i was thinking on haveing it buried with me, but it deserves to go to another hunter when i go.

Attachments

• DSCN0858.JPG
    DSCN0858.JPG
    934.5 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN9827 (2).JPG
    DSCN9827 (2).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 39