Ruger #1 accuracy

Back in day, the Cabelas would nearly always have, a Ruger No. 1 on the wall for $649, which was couple hundred bucks off list price. They'd make limited edition versions, that had French walnut for the lumber! Youtube- King of Single Shots: Ruger No.1 Rifle Review That woman ,takes a 204 Ruger No.1, off the rack and puts 3 shots in 1 hole , at 100 yards. 9.03 minutes Have seen the same type results, for over 25 years

Last edited:
Have read of that hanger deal but, never seen No.1 yet that wasn't a shooter, out of the box. They no doubt , probably do exist, with a tinkering to do left in e'm. Ruger No.1 quite the rig, by the Bill Ruger back in1966. Bill Ruger had, an old Scottish gamekeeper turnD gunmaker's rifle, in his office gun collection. Ruger takes that 1872 Farquharson patented single-shot design and makes it available for the modern day Hunter. Fifty years later, No.1's , been sold out ever since, genius.
BTW, that hanger deal gizmo is called a Hicks Accurizer. I have 2 of them, still in the package they came in. I was going to put one on my 25-06, but after I bedded the stock, and then played with tightening the forend screw in incremental steps, it shot good enough to not bother with it. Who knows tho, maybe one day I'll need one of them.

Back in '85, a friend and I, both of us had just moved to Wyoming with a job transfer, were in Logan Utah shopping some gun stores for a hunting rifle for my friend!

On gun store had an attractive #1 in 7 RM at a discounted price, under $180 as I recall. We both knew that it was a great price….but he wanted a 300 Win., and I didn't really care for a 7 mag nor did I need another rifle.

Look'n back…..I wish to heck I'd have bought it! I love #1's…..yet to this day, I've never owned one! memtb

Yep, if there's a cool No.1 Ruger, in a vintage cartridge, on the used gun rack, not gonna be there very long. No.3 Carbine's, in 375 Winchester ,were under $300 bucks new, good luck finding a used one today, Ruger!!

I bought a heavy barrel 6mm Rem #1 on another forum.
The best load so far 3 shots into ~ 2.75" at a hundred yards. The next two shots were off the target. I complained to Ruger and sent the rifle in.
They sent it back - they were able to shoot three shots into 3/4" horizontally at 50 yards. No measure of vertical displacement.
No explanation, no comments, no offers were sent.
I imagine that I might be the 20th owner of the rifle as it was likely test fired and sold over and over.
I am proud owner of a 30 to 40 yard prairie dog rifle, wahoo.
I won't do what others have done with this rifle. I suppose re-barrel makes the most sense.
I would like to give Ruger the one finger salute.
I've had many a go-a-round with Ruger in regards to accuracy issues with their rifles and that started in 1975, when I had my gunshop/gunsmithing business. All I've ever gotten from them was that the gun met their accuracy standards, which are obviously pretty low on the bottom end. They test their guns sent back to them at 50 yards. Whoopie ! Mechanically and cosmetically their rifles, especially the early 77s are very nice rifles. Their barrels on the other hand, are inconsistent and leave a lot to be desired. I've attempted to hand lap their barrels on occasion and found some really terrible loose and tight spots in them.

I've had many a go-a-round with Ruger in regards to accuracy issues with their rifles and that started in 1975, when I had my gunshop/gunsmithing business. All I've ever gotten from them was that the gun met their accuracy standards, which are obviously pretty low on the bottom end. They test their guns sent back to them at 50 yards. Whoopie ! Mechanically and cosmetically their rifles, especially the early 77s are very nice rifles. Their barrels on the other hand, are inconsistent and leave a lot to be desired. I've attempted to hand lap their barrels on occasion and found some really terrible loose and tight spots in them.
Yep, I mentioned the barrels in my first post of this thread. For quite a few years they were buying cheap barrels from someone. Now that they make their own barrels, the barrel quality has gone up. Even the otherwise cheap Ruger American Rifles shoot (most of them) and the barrels I have checked have been smooth for a cheap factory rifle.
I got lucky I guess with a M77 varmint 220 Swift way back, it was great but with other M77's, not so much!

Ruger # 1 and Sharps Actions ( Edited) 22 minutes, The real Gunsmith, on YouTube by Randy Selby. Simple talk by that ol guy about Ruger No. 1's. He shows a 43 year old, 25-06 stocked in Fiddleback Maple, 27.5" barrel, shoots under 1/2" MOA. He claims/ says has built several 100 Ruger No. 1's, could be so, he's old but, still seems pretty sharp.

Last edited:
Would you buy a vehicle with low miles, numerous owners yet out of warranty and expect the dealer to fix it?

Why would you expect Ruger to care about an old rifle which you did not buy new? I don't understand your thinking by expecting an unconditional lifetime warranty. If you want that then buy a firearm from a manufacturer that offers an unconditional lifetime warranty.
Sorry man (OP), but this was my first reaction as well. You bought a used rifle with no knowledge of history and expect the manufacturer to warranty it?
When you say the barrel appears to only have a few rounds through it, is that viewed by borescope or eyeballing it?
Also another good point was brought up about twist rate.