Accuracy

I agree with the time and effort it takes to put together a load that performs well at long range but even with a load that performs the wind will humble even the best.

I've killed many varmints out to 1,000yds but limit my biggame shots to 400-500 yds. There are just too many variables for me to shoot much beyond that under field conditions.
Many posters on this site are quite capable of really shooting long, I just don't happen to be one of them. LR head shooting would certainly cut deeply into the high percentage lethal hit probability. I have never heard of anyone preferring that method of hunting. Interesting.

The owner of 4Aces near Madras, Oregon (Caleb Johnson) told me it took eight days for a bison to die after a poor head hit. He hired five guys and they searched and searched and finally found it at a water hole.
Picked the small target over one of the biggest possible vital areas out there? Probably didnt want to ruin any meat? If a guy can hit the brain so confidently, why cant he put one in the heart/lungs without hitting shoulders I wonder?

I think "shooting at rocks" is good practice with the qualification that the size of the rock is relevant. We use rocks as in a hunting situation, walk along then pick one that is small enough to represent the kill zone of a deer (8-10 inches) and shoot from what ever position we can best get into ,in what ever the conditions happen to be. We dont start close and work out or try and walk shots in. Its about one off first up shots.
Im also a little curious about these accurate loads that some how aren't accurate at long range? I read about it but Iv never seen it. Iv found that a well stabilized bullet with good es/sd that goups well at 100 will continue to do so.
What is it that makes a good load loose accuracy at distance?

You just cant be sure of the true impact spot when shooting rocks. It fools you into thinking your better than you are. The dust kicks up and it looks right there. I think if you try hanging a target you will see that when your transition over to the target the group will be much larger and farther from poa than you would have thought from watching the rock. Just give it a try. From my own experience, even knowing that rock hits fool you, Im still surprised when transitioning to paper how different the groups are than what Id expect from sighting on rocks.
Barrel harmonics are why a load may not hold up at distance. Depending on the angle of the barrel during bullet exit time you may help lr grouping or hurt it. Its called positive compensation, google search if your interested in it. But if you have ever tuned up a good load and experienced terrible vertical at long range even though ES was good, thats why (neg compensation). Or on the other hand tuned up a load with bad ES but still had good long range groups (*** compensation).

Last edited:
Yes thanks for that, defiantly interested so will have a search.
With the rock shooting Im not talking about groups. Its practice for hunting after you have a proven load, if you know the size of the rock then you wont be fooled. Youve either hit your target or you haven't.
We shoot plenty of steel and paper and have measured plenty of groups.

The only ethics to long range hunting is knowing your equipment, knowing the animal, and knowing that you can make that shot, whether it be 50 yards or 1500 yards.

If you don't have anyone of those figured out then you shouldn't take the shot.

What Alex's thread is pointing out is the importance of knowing how to make that shot and practicing to make it.

Shooting animals at 1,000yrds is not hunting. 800yrds is pushing it.
I get this is your opinion, but I totally disagree. My closet elk has been 811 yards, and I get up and hunt my *** off when I go. I have been up in the mountains for a week by myself and seen one animal on that trip. If you don't think I'm hunting then you crazy. I'm not driving around and spotting from a road and taking shots from next to a vehicle. I will darn sure take what is given to me, and I shoot all year to be able to take such shots.
Maybe I'm just a crappy hunter that just has the equipment and ability to shoot ranges further than most:D

Last edited:
Sometimes people forget or do not know why this site got started to begin with ...

6t0p7DY.png

kHLPmzA.png

Cheers!

I get this is your opinion, but I totally disagree. My closet elk has been 811 yards, and I get up and hunt my *** off when I go. I have been up in the mountains for a week by myself and seen one animal on that trip. If you don't think I'm hunting then you crazy. I'm not driving around and spotting from a road and taking shots from next to a vehicle. I will darn sure take what is given to me, and I shoot all year to be able to take such shots.
Maybe I'm just a crappy hunter that just has the equipment and ability to shoot ranges further than most:D

I hear you. In 2013, I harvested a bull elk at 931 yards. By the time I got it to the processing plant, I have logged over 130 foot miles for the season. The day I shot mine, we harvested two bulls. I put in 28 miles that day just to go back the following day for another 14 miles to retrieve my elk. Sometimes pulling the trigger is the easy part, finding the elk and the work after you down it is another story ... but that is elk hunting. Our average elk hunt hike is 7-14 miles per outing depends on area we are hunting.

Cheers!

1000 is tough a lot can go wrong
Wind is a big factor if you can't hit
Inside a 6 in group consistantly
Then better to back off and shoot less
Range just saying
An elk's heart is larger than 6". So you're saying that if I cannot drill one through the heart at whatever range that I shouldn't shoot?
Should I be attempting shots like maybe left ventricle?
I've heard of aim small-miss small, but dang.:D
I guess I can see why some guys like a lot of magnification in their riflescopes.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Im not talking ethics here. I would not say that being capable of taking a shot before taking it is ethics, its common sense. It just basic respect. I just want people to understand how much different things can look on a paper target. If nothing at all it will extend your range by making you better. Finding shortcomings has to be done to get better.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.