accuracy

Enzo

After trying several differernt bullets (accubonds , barnes,berger) and powders I have H 414 and bergers shooting 1/4 moa at 100 yrs out of a 300wsm A-Bolt stalker with Boss and no alterations I bought back in 2003 i think . Is this what is expected from from everyone on this site and should I expect this out of all my rifles ? These are not heavy barrell guns or did i just hit it right with dumb luck?

If you were to expect that kind of accuracy with every rifle, guys would almost never find a load they are satisfied with and would develope "tinkeritis". The kind of accuracy I expect out of a rifle depends on it's role. Is it a 1000 yard deer rifle or a 600 yard plinker? I'm more then happy with 1/2 MOA from a factory rifle. The one rifle I've had built by a gunsmith I expect more from it as well. Kirby told me 1/2 MOA or better. I expected better and got it.
Some guys will tell you that 100 yard groups mean nothing. I disagree with that. It's a darn good start. Match that with a chronograph and you got the makings of a winner. If you are shooting 1/4" groups at 100 and the load has a low extreme spread then I don't see the rifle shooting worse at longer ranges. That (to me) would be shooter induced error. It also says something about your shooting, if you can hold that good a group consistently you have the basics of marksmanship down. You are off to a good start. Now go see how YOU do at longer ranges.

After trying several differernt bullets (accubonds , barnes,berger) and powders I have H 414 and bergers shooting 1/4 moa at 100 yrs out of a 300wsm A-Bolt stalker with Boss and no alterations I bought back in 2003 i think . Is this what is expected from from everyone on this site and should I expect this out of all my rifles ? These are not heavy barrell guns or did i just hit it right with dumb luck?

A true .25 from any rifle is superb....a stocker with sporter weight barrel is top 5 stuff. Good on you. All three of the 300WSM's I load for best loads for accuracy and velocity are with H414.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.