Ruger Super Red Hawk 454 (7.5") Accuracy

hmbleservant

Hey guys/gals, does anyone have any experience with this handgun? I want to know what kind of MOA it holds without having work done. I'm considering it for multi-purposes, one including long range backup handgun for some of my hunting. I'm wanting to know if the gun will be good for out to 200 yards or so on southern whitetail deer. I'm aware that the cartridge is.

I can't seem to find any info on what the handgun is capable of online. Everyone wants to talk about how the "handgun is more accurate than the shooter" as a cover statement for all revolvers. Well, I guess I just don't beleive that. I have enough shooting experience to know better. Thats why I'm posting this here with some of the best shooters in the world. Shooters who do have a distinct desire to quantitatively evaluate every shooting system that they use for what it is worth mechanically and ballistically.

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

My first 454 was a Ruger Super Redhawk with the 9.5" barrel.
I purchased it after watching the seller hit 4 clay pigeons at 200 yards (took 6 shots)
I kept if 5 years or so but then wanted to try a Super Redhawk in 480. it had the shorter barrel
I sold both handguns and bought a Super Redhawk in 454 with a 7.5" barrel
Every Super Redhawk I have owned shoots very well.... I am not able to consistantly hit clays at 200 yards but think the 454 I own now is also

I too am curious about the range i can expect from my .454 Ruger Super Redhawk. Purchased a used one (7 1/2" magna ported barrel) right before I left for the deployment I am currently on. I only got to shoot it once and that was more novelty shooting, I didnt really get the time to spend with it that I wanted to. The recoil was not near as bad as i was expect and the action and trigger pull is like butter. I do expect great things from it when i get home.

I spoke to a couple of guides in Montanna who carried them (I didnt even know I needed one) much to the wife's disapointment. :) Does anyone have any recomended loads for this beast? Certainly not a cheap rig to feed.

The most limiting factor to accuracy with that revolver will be you the shooter. I have the 44 mag and 480 Ruger versions and my brother has the 454. From a solid bench rest, 200 yards on a big game animal would not be all that hard.

From field conditons, much more difficult and off hand, not a chance.

To be good with a big bore handgun, you have to shoot them ALL the time, not a few times a year but instead a few times a month AT LEAST to maintain the feel for a big bore handgun. Not like a rifle. Anyone with basic shooting skills can pick up a good rifle and make accurate shots with very little trigger time.

That is not the case with a big bore revolver, they have to be shot all the time year round. The handgun does have the potential to do what your wanting but in field positions, very few hunters are. To get 200 yard reach you will need a good optical sight as well. Open sighted shooting at 200 yards would be most impressive. I have never seen anyone that could do it other then the occasional lucky shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.