M1A Super Match Accuracy

rkcolt45

Just purchased an older Springfield Armory pre-ban M1A Super Match made in 84. Wanted to get some feedback on accuracy if anyone has any experience with this type of rifle.

Just purchased an older Springfield Armory pre-ban M1A Super Match made in 84. Wanted to get some feedback on accuracy if anyone has any experience with this type of rifle.
It should shoot well if you do your part. Its hard to say with an M1A if its going to shoot right out of the box. I would take it out to the range and bang away see what you end up with. Now here is the WARNING dont just shoot any ammo you can find through your rifle it was not ment for that! Get mil surplus, federal FGMM, hornadys M1A load etc under no circumstance use the new superperformance ammo.

With peep sights at 600 yds. prone a buddy of mine put 10 shots that you could cover with your fist. The 10 shot group was 1+1/2" high by 4 inches across. which was the first time he shot at 600 yds. We were shooting at FT. Benning in the 3 day Army shooting school.

To keep them in tune you for best accuracy they need to be re-bedded every 1200 to 1500 rounds.

gt40

rkcolt45,

Generally, I'd expect a full-on, properly built NM M14 (or M1A) to shoot right around MOA, or just a bit less. When I was with 5th Army MTU, they tested their rifles in an accuracy cradle at 300 yards, and required right at 3" for ten-round strings with M118. The M852 (168 grain HPBT Match rounds, no longer being loaded or in service) or the new M118LR (175 HPBT) will improve that just a bit, so I'd be looking for somewhere around 2.5" or a bit better, ten-rounds at 300.

As has been mentioned, these guns don't shoot like this for very long unless they're properly maintained and rebuilt regularly. I'd agree completely with the comments about their needing to be re-bedded every 1,000 rounds or so just to stay in tune. This is one of the factors that have led to the M16s completely eclipsing the M14s in High Power competition today; they don't need this sort of constant attention. Build them right, and the next time it'll truly need to see an armorer is when the barrel is shot out and needs to be replaced. Not true with an M14. They need to be kept in tune by frequent visits to the armorer's shop, and will go through several bedding jobs long before the barrel gets shot out and needs a full rebuild.

I owned a supermatch micmillian stocked black beast! , it shot right roundMOA, better with tuned ammo, Fed gold medal match was right at moa, but you can tweak that down with handloads.

I loved mine.

also < the bed job on my Mcmillian stocked supermatch is not to be rebedded every 1000 rounds, in fact it never needed it, (I might agree on a wood stock model)

In fact the more you pull the action out of the bedding on the mcmillian stock the sloppier it will get. you can service the rifle with out having to pull it out of the stock all the time.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the info. I have a retired Military friend that has a lot of M118 so that's what I'll start with. Thanks again.

I put mine in a Troy Industries stock and it brought the group well within a MOA accuracy with Federal Match Gold Medal. Working on hand loads next with 175gr BTHP. First step for me was to ditch the Springfield Armory scope mount and get a good solid base for the scope to mount to. Been great so far!

I have three M1As bedded and accurized and don't take them out of the stock more than once a year and sometimes much longer. These rifles all shoot less than MOA as long as I do my job.

I put mine in a Troy Industries stock and it brought the group well within a MOA accuracy with Federal Match Gold Medal. Working on hand loads next with 175gr BTHP. First step for me was to ditch the Springfield Armory scope mount and get a good solid base for the scope to mount to. Been great so far!
Oh do you like the troy? I have a McMillan M2A the troy or the EBR would be my mext choice. I didnt like the troy cause I had to remove the rear sight.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.