Reloading 7mm PRC

So I'm going to have the stupid question after researching some last night. Gonna be money no matter what. I'm gonna try the Hornady cases that I have an see what happens. I gotta call smith see if he can't rent the proper reamer explain I'm sure he's aware of issue. Am I better off to run hornady brass if successful? Have chamber cleaned up an try my peterson brass? Or short action customs resizer an hope it works without cleaning chamber up?

I can't imagine a scenario where using the highest quality brass, from the start, isn't the best answer.
If it takes cleaning out your chamber so be it.
I'm assuming you shoot a good bit, that may not be the "case". Pun pun

Last edited:
In between storms today I ran some N565 through my 22" Proof barrel pushing 175gr ABLRs. I decided to use the mild Rem 9 1/2M primers and used once-fired Hornady brass. I seated the ABLRs at 50thou off the lands, for a BTO of 2.6130". Temp was 49 degrees, practically no wind, altitude 156' AMSL.
65gr - 2676fps
66 - 2752
67 - 2791
68 - 2831
69 - 2880

No obvious overpressure signs, but the last two were clickers. I'm not sure if 69gr is over max pressure. After my range inputs, GRT calculated the ideal max OBT load to be 69.53gr. Hmmmm.

The ladder group was fairly tight, but was off the paper due to the new Valdada G2 Mini scope I just mounted and bore-sighted by eye. I was 6moa high and 5moa right on the wood, so no pics.

I can't imagine a scenario where using the highest quality brass, from the start, isn't the best answer.
If it takes cleaning out your chamber so be it.
I'm assuming you shoot a good bit, that may not be the "case". Pun pun
Well thats why I just went with quality brass to begin with. I've shot this probably more than usual to make sure which powder an bullets I like cause I'm where I like to be on primers but not powder an bullets so I want to buy bulk of everything I use this summer. Usually 250 including reamer rental so if they can get it. Not a big cost for getting rid of the headache. Turkey season comes in tomorrow so I won't mess with it probably till after season but it'll drive me nuts thinking about it an would be a good time to drop it off at smith

It sounds like you have a SAMMI chamber and clickers. I've got the same problem, and did with my 300 PRC too. The 300 got the PRCAW2 treatment, which fixed it. My 7 PRC (which I love) is resting until I can get my hands on an AW spec reamer.
4d reamer rentals show they have one. The print listed isn't right so I emailed to confirm it is the right one. They even show the prcw

I'll be dang, they finally got them. And they didn't notify me... They labled wrong. It should be PRCAW (no 2, it took 2 trys with the 300, after that it was figured out, hence no 2 on the 6.5 or 7) that should be it though. I just ordered, so I'll throw a flag if it's not right.

I'll be dang, they finally got them. And they didn't notify me... They labled wrong. It should be PRCAW (no 2, it took 2 trys with the 300, after that it was figured out, hence no 2 on the 6.5 or 7) that should be it though. I just ordered, so I'll throw a flag if it's not right.
Lol i kinda figured I thought I'd go-ahead an em till I get a hold of my gunsmith. The way the 3 were separated I figure it's right though. I've yet to relaod for my 300 PRC now I have that in the back of my mind. I know it'll be same **** thing

So I'm going to have the stupid question after researching some last night. Gonna be money no matter what. I'm gonna try the Hornady cases that I have an see what happens. I gotta call smith see if he can't rent the proper reamer explain I'm sure he's aware of issue. Am I better off to run hornady brass if successful? Have chamber cleaned up an try my peterson brass? Or short action customs resizer an hope it works without cleaning chamber up?
Use peterson brass. Measure the web as you work load up. If you start at 0.5290 for virgin brass....i would keep loads reasonable and you can tell you are too hot if your web is getting larger than 0.530

Smith could even hone out the back half of chamber

To follow up here, the reamer arrived today. I'm all but certain I was the first person to receive this particular one. I broke the "inspected" seal.

I ran it by hand, just as I had with the 300 and 6.5. Either I got scared and didn't finish, or the reamer didn't spin as freely when done as the previous 2. Either way, I test fired within 30minutes of starting (through the floor in my shed... shhh, don't tell the neighbors) and the result was success.

Sized web = .530
Fired web pre AW treatment = .5315 and clicker
Fired web post AW treatment = .533 and no clicker

The AW reamer does have a tiny bit longer freebore. I didn't calculate, but it seemed like in the .0005" range from a quick print comparison. I also don't have the privilege of testing accuracy in the back yard. But, for now, I'm happy not having to pound on the bolt handle backward to get a fired round extracted.

Reamer data in attached picture for those contemplating rental.

Attachments

• 20240417_154535.jpg
    20240417_154535.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 15
To follow up here, the reamer arrived today. I'm all but certain I was the first person to receive this particular one. I broke the "inspected" seal.

I ran it by hand, just as I had with the 300 and 6.5. Either I got scared and didn't finish, or the reamer didn't spin as freely when done as the previous 2. Either way, I test fired within 30minutes of starting (through the floor in my shed... shhh, don't tell the neighbors) and the result was success.

Sized web = .530
Fired web pre AW treatment = .5315 and clicker
Fired web post AW treatment = .533 and no clicker

The AW reamer does have a tiny bit longer freebore. I didn't calculate, but it seemed like in the .0005" range from a quick print comparison. I also don't have the privilege of testing accuracy in the back yard. But, for now, I'm happy not having to pound on the bolt handle backward to get a fired round extracted.

Reamer data in attached picture for those contemplating rental.
That's awesome. Get it sent back so I can rent it lol

I'm going to try and make it to the range tomorrow, for a little more shake down, before sending it back.

I'm going to try and make it to the range tomorrow, for a little more shake down, before sending it back.
I don't blame you. I'm enjoying a break from mine ****ing me off. Turkey hunting is much more enjoyable lol

Use peterson brass. Measure the web as you work load up. If you start at 0.5290 for virgin brass....i would keep loads reasonable and you can tell you are too hot if your web is getting larger than 0.530

Smith could even hone out the back half of chamber
Even the Hornady brass measures over .530 around .531, .532 they were factory loads. Don't have any virgin except a box of feds an they are .528. The resized Hornady an Fed brass I have measures same as peterson

If anyone needs to do the PRC fix on their gun, I have a kit I rent out that comes with the JGS 7 PRC AW finish reamer, cutting oil, and the t-handle. Reamer is brand-new - just came in last week. I haven't had time to do my gun yet. I also have kits I rent out for the fix on 6.5 PRC's and 300 PRC's too.

IMG_9503.jpeg