Reloading 7mm PRC

Has anyone tried the lighter bullets? I've been kicking around the idea of rebarreling a rifle for 7prc, but factory ammo seems slow, handloads seem great. I am handloading my 9.5 twist 7RM with a 162ELDX at 3,050fps and a 150gr ELDX at 3300fps.
Has anyone tried the 168 berger, 162 eldx or a 150 eldx?

I was getting around 2900 with 18 inch barrel 162 ELDxs was new brass now I resized an having some chamber issues even with backing powder down a few grains. Full length sized length was good. The brass chambers fine an ejects fine till it's fired. Bolt lifts easy but case is really stubborn sometimes about coming out. Length still was I'm Saami spec after firing, primer looked good, case rim looked fine. I trimmed em back some more an I guess I'll bump shoulder back about .002. Peterson brass so idk I'm no expert reloader first time I've had an issue like this I've seen typical pressure signs doing ladder test so I'm kinda stumped. I know my 22 creedmoor met specs but had go bump shoulder back more on it

I am getting mid to upper 2900s with H1000 and N565. 68.2 and 68.6 grains of H1000 have been some amazing loads for me.
I'm going to run some N565 with 175gr ABLRs out of my 22" Proof barrel as soon as the water drains off my field. I loaded up a 5 round ladder test from 65gr to 69gr in 1gr increments.

What is your charge weight for N565?

I'm going to run some N565 with 175gr ABLRs out of my 22" Proof barrel as soon as the water drains off my field. I loaded up a 5 round ladder test from 65gr to 69gr in 1gr increments.

What is your charge weight for N565?
I was running 69grs of 565 with 162s with new brass till I had the pressure issues back it down go 68 now.

Thanks. I may be a little hot at 69 with 175s. We'll see.
Yeah from load data I've seen with 175s to 162s I would say so. Give ya little of an idea though. It's about right there with RL26 charge wise but not speed wise in my gun anyways from testing I did.

I am shooting 180 Scenars over 67.0 grs of H1000. I think R26 and H1000 are next to each other on the burn chart.

Getting an average of 2976 out of a newish 26" Bartlein with an 8 twist. I consider this to be a very safe load out of the 26" barrel. Can easily bump the velocity to an average of 3000 fps.

Was shooting a 6" plate at 550 yards. Have not shot it at 1000 yet.

Yeah from load data I've seen with 175s to 162s I would say so. Give ya little of an idea though. It's about right there with RL26 charge wise but not speed wise in my gun anyways from testing I did.
I've run Staball HD, N165, H1000, H4831sc, RL25 and 7828ssc so far. They are all acceptable. I have a LOT of N565 so I hope it gives me an accurate load with a touch more velocity. I'm not concerned about 25fps, especially if I can't even get RL26. I have some Magpro to try as well, which gives some serious velocity.

I've run Staball HD, N165, H1000, H4831sc, RL25 and 7828ssc so far. They are all acceptable. I have a LOT of N565 so I hope it gives me an accurate load with a touch more velocity. I'm not concerned about 25fps, especially if I can't even get RL26. I have some Magpro to try as well, which gives some serious velocity.
I run 4831sc at book max an no pressure an velocity was kinda lol from what book says. Didn't have the accuracy I hoped but nothings every the same. Best grouping I've got with 162s in my savage is .005 off lands. Debated about trying LRP over LRMP see if it will tighten up more. N565 has probably had best ES an SD out of all of them

I was getting around 2900 with 18 inch barrel 162 ELDxs was new brass now I resized an having some chamber issues even with backing powder down a few grains. Full length sized length was good. The brass chambers fine an ejects fine till it's fired. Bolt lifts easy but case is really stubborn sometimes about coming out. Length still was I'm Saami spec after firing, primer looked good, case rim looked fine. I trimmed em back some more an I guess I'll bump shoulder back about .002. Peterson brass so idk I'm no expert reloader first time I've had an issue like this I've seen typical pressure signs doing ladder test so I'm kinda stumped. I know my 22 creedmoor met specs but had go bump shoulder back more on it

It sounds like you have a SAMMI chamber and clickers. I've got the same problem, and did with my 300 PRC too. The 300 got the PRCAW2 treatment, which fixed it. My 7 PRC (which I love) is resting until I can get my hands on an AW spec reamer.

It sounds like you have a SAMMI chamber and clickers. I've got the same problem, and did with my 300 PRC too. The 300 got the PRCAW2 treatment, which fixed it. My 7 PRC (which I love) is resting until I can get my hands on an AW spec reamer.
Hmm ill have to research this. I haven't even reloaded for my 300 prc lol now I'm nervous. It's a custom but that doesn't mean anything. I'm debating on what I want to do. I measured shoulder against new loads an it's the same. I went with the cheaper savage thinking any issue would be action not the barrel. I've seen where ppl polished the Chamber on savage forums an wala. Gunsmith is 1 1/2 hrs away is what stinks. My really mild loads did ok, no stick nothing. The 4831sc was book max an slow. N560 was 1.5 below book before it quit acting up. But I wasn't having any issue with anything other than accuracy before this. I found thread about the 7prc clickers. I do have Hornady an Federal brass guess I could load them to what I was doing see what the hell happens lol. I strayed from hornady brass cause everyone complained of loose primer pockets

Last edited:
Google PRC clicker. It's a known condition that effects reloaders only. Usually shows up about the 3rd reload on a pice of brass.