Recoil

This is a discussion I think that is worth having. Most of the time I am planning a rifle out with a customer and this topic comes up I am usually looking at it a little differently. Any able bodied person can handle recoil. Its not about being tough or being able to shoot the rifle well without flinching. Obviously thats a factor but not what Im talking about here. Spotting your hits at long range is very important to me. If you can watch the bullet impact in your scope, you know instantly if the shot was good or you need to hurry up and get another down there. When I shoot a rifle that recoils enough that I cant get back on target to see the impact at 500-600 yards and out, I feel blind. This could be a real problem on a hunt if the animal disappears into the timber and you have no idea how the shot went. Now when we watch the videos of guys shooting these really aggressive brakes saying how easy you can spot your hits with 300 and 338 magnums, its true. If you use a really good brake like a Terminator or Beast and dig the bipod in with a perfect prone position you can spot your hits. I literally have never killed and animal from a position like that. In Montana your shooting up down or your in sage brush or tall grass. So you will most likely be taking a shot from a less than perfect position. You will not be spotting your hits with those heavier calibers. My favorite elk round is still a 30 like the 300 Norma Improved or 30-28 Nosler but I like them a little heavier personally to make them behave. This is just food for thought for when your planning a rifle. Just another way to look at recoil.

👍
This is one subject that I have made a 180o swing in my thinking. At one time I did not own or want a rifle with a muzzle brake on it. I did not like the report even though I used hearing protection. I also did not like the effect it had on bystanders.

But then one day, I bought a 50 BMG in a M 82 A1 and realized the problems that Our guys in the military had to contend with. Being a Veteran, I set out to improve this rifles meanness by Designing and building a better muzzle brake for it. After reading many articles from many experts, I started to understand how a muzzle brake actually worked and all the theory's that didn't didn't prove out to be true.

After building many different types and styles, the benefits of each became obvious. As you said there are advantages to having one on a rifle that works, like spotting the hit, Muzzle control, recoil management, reduced harmonics and just less abuse to the rifle and the shooter. I was taught to call my hits and for the most part would know where the hit would be, But when I could spot the bullet trail and the hit it was a bonus.

Brakes are not for everyone, but for many they are a plus. Now I place a muzzle brake on most "All" rifles and cartridges (The smallest to date is a 22 Mag to reap other benefits of a braked rifle ) depending on the need and shooter. I still have a few rifles that don't have a muzzle brake on them for one reason or the other.

Everyone should invest in just one good muzzle brake and decide for themselves if it is the way to go for them.

In my opinion their are no downside to a good, well designed brake and with proper installation and design, they can be attractive on a rifle (One of the things I really disliked about the earlier brakes).

J E CUSTOM

Used my first brake on a 7mm-08 20" bbl. recently and it never lifted me off target. Wow that was a pleasant shooting session, will be using brakes more now and experimenting with different types. A new convert :) I notice Terminator and beast names mentioned a lot on here will look into them, I used a radial but with no holes from 4-8 o'clock downward.
I have a terminator T4 on my 338 Lapua it's great and much more pleasant to shoot

Last edited:
Great post, JEC.
For me it's purely a field thing and the additional length of adding a suppressor doesn't work for me. If I had a bench rifle or one that I'd use when not hiking or hustling under ranch fences, I'm sure they are a pleasure to shoot.

Cant agree more.... just thinking about the weight effect on recoil. Would only the total weight count or does it matter where the weight is? As in a 6lbs rifle with a 2 lbs scope (incl rings etc) be the same a an 8lbs rifle with open sight in terms of recoil?
Overall the weight would be the same, but the balance would come into play. I'd imagine a two pound scope on a six pound rifle would be awkward at best. Until i switched to carbon barrels, my lightest rifle was a fin light in 243. That's still mated to a Minox ZE5i 2-10x50. Without the scope, the rifle is so balanced. It's amazing. The moment the scope is on, at far less than two pounds, you can feel the balance shift.
It's all about perspective. If I had a harder recoiling cartridge on that platform, I'd have a brake.

Last edited:
This is a great discussion. I never liked any kind of brake for numerous reasons, but most likely because my father didn't like them. Plus they are ear damaging. Then, the very first year the 300 RUM came out I purchased one in a Remington 700 Sendero. (Black Betty) The recoil was tough and I was not able to stay on target. I sent it in to KDF and added a brake and have never looked back. I love it and everything purchased since has a break. Black Betty has harvested over 100 big game animals now and she continues to be active today.

I find this combination, silencer + muzzle brake most effective
recoil reaper.jpg

Awesome topic. Good thoughts to consider in all responses. I recently built a 7 STW and shot it with a radial brake up until shortly before my first hunt. I removed the brake due to concerns about the 28" barrel and the rifle fitting in the scabbard. Practicing without the brake went great. I ended up killing an elk at 680 yards with one shot, but I did not see my impact and did not find the elk in the scope until it expired due to the nature of the available shooting position. Thankful I had a spotter. I'm gonna go back to the drawing board and look for a little shorter brake with a low profile or a custom scabbard.

I've got a 8lb scoped & braked 7mm rm. Rifle alone weighs 6lb 11 oz. 180s @ 2830 or so is very tolerable to shoot. Surprisingly tolerable.
Felt recoil of this rifle is almost indistinguishable from my 6.5 driving 147 ELDs to around 3000 fps.

Some rifles need a brake and some don't. With some, It is the weight and potency of the cartridge. With others it is the design of the rifles. Just like pistols, some rifles recoil differently even if they weigh the same and shoot the same cartridge.

I have installed lots of brakes on AR 15's in 223 to assist the shooter to stay on target and make follow up shots easier. I have manage to reduce the actual recoil to 1.1 to 1.5 ft/lbs from 4 to 5 ft/lbs on most AR 15's, and the owners rave about the control of the rifle for multiple targets (Game). Recoil is not the issue here, but being able to maintain site of multiple targets while shooting is the goal.

I have some big bores that could definitely use a brake, but no more than you shoot them and the number of follow up shot's is normally zero, a brake is not necessary but would be nice if allowed.

So brakes are an individual decision, and should be based on the shooters requirements and the rifles needs.

J E CUSTOM

I have braked rifles, and they are indeed great at what they are intended for. It's also just as great of a thing when you don't need a brake, maybe even greater!

I will confess to being one of the "old school" guys. Muzzle brake? Just for sissys that can't shoot their rifle. Don't need no stinkin loud muzzle brake!
Then I shot a 338 Edge with a muzzle brake. That got my attention. When I had my 338 Edge built it had that brake on the end. During load development for the 338 Edge I decided that muzzle brakes were the bomb! I promptly had the smith put a brake on my 300 RUM and when he put a new barrel on my 22-250 I had a brake put on that rifle also.
After shooting my rifles with brakes on them my best friend and his girlfriend had brakes put on their hunting rifles.
I have several other rifles that I shoot and when I find another reputable smith I will probably put muzzle brakes on those rifles as well.
I am not and have never been recoil sensitive but I truly enjoy what a muzzle brake does to the ability to tame recoil to call your own shots.
I know now that when I start my grandsons shooting a rifle, it will have a muzzle brake on the end of it.

I have a brake on almost all of my usual hunting rifles. One needs to do his research before he just runs out and slaps on any old brake. We exclusively run brakes from LR Customs. His designs keep progressing. He's best known for his custom muzzleloaders and the brakes he designs and installs for those. Although I don't currently own a muzzleloader, I personally have brakes from him on everything from a .223, 300 RUM, a .444 EN,up to a .458 WSM. All are extremely efficient, so much so, we have to tune for them when used on an AR. His latest designs are adjustable for controlling barrel rise and twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.