RCBS, Hornady, Redding, or Forster Dies

I like Forster and RCBS. Forster for my primary hunting rifles and RCBS for everything else. Hate to be a dissenter, but I've not had good results with Hornady, especially the seating dies and I can buy Forster for just a bit more than Redding. The Redding body dies are the bomb.

I'm new to reloading and got Hornady 2 die set for my 6.5 Creedmoor. Can you share what you don't like about the Hornady dies?

My first set of dies was a set of lee dies and since then have couple sets of rcbs dies and now one set of redding dies from what I've seen so far I really like the one set of redding dies I have if they make all there dies like the set I have then I won't be buying any other new set of die unless there reddings

My first set of dies was a set of lee dies and since then have couple sets of rcbs dies and now one set of redding dies from what I've seen so far I really like the one set of redding dies I have if they make all there dies like the set I have then I won't be buying any other new set of die unless there reddings
Which Redding set do you have?

These seem to be good dies for the price - Redding dies seem to be about $100 more for the Type S at MidSouth
They are good Dies for the price in this sport you'll find you get what you pay for I have used pretty much every set of dies dies you can imagine except for custom dies my experience with Forster was not bad I just prefer redding the exterior which does not matter as much there's not finished as well as was Redding but what is important is on the inside my Forster dies produce good ammo although I cracked two seating stems I have never done that with any other manufacturer before or since

You can always mix up dies and not be hung up on buying a set. I did this with my 6.5 Creedmoor, I wanted to get the Master Hunter set like I did with my 28 Nosler, but did not want to pay the price, so I purchased the Redding FL Sizer and a Forster Ultra Micro Seater die, this got me well below the price of the Redding set. I also like the Forster Ultra Micro Seater better than the Redding Competition seater that comes in the Master Hunter set. The stem in the Forester is for VLD style bullets.

I have used hornady-redding-forster dies thru the years, I prefer the forster benchrest dies the most. Some float built into the sizer spindles and the seater w/the sleeve. I've slowly moved my die inventory into all benchrest die's, should have started that way. :)

I run the Forster "Benchrest" FL sizer, with Redding "Competition" shell holders to keep the headspace clearance perfect. Forster is great about custom honing necks of their sizers so I run mine without expander spindle - I just use a separate mandrel die to fine tune my neck tension. But for seating, I moved away from the Forster seater to a Wilson chamber seater on arbor press - it's much easier

post edit: I turn my necks, and I always anneal.

Last edited:
I have read many people favoring the Redding type S (with bushing) FL Sizer for shoulder bumps and the Forster Ultra Micro Seater die. I love the Redding type S dies but have only used those on rifle reloading so no experience with others (except for pistol). I bought another Redding type S for my 6.5 but I'm going to add the Forster Ultra Micro Seater die once I can find one.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.