.300 wm redding vs forster dies

trazman

Hello I want to full lenght sizie with bushings, and as far as I know only redding has FL bushing dies. And what about the micrometer seater, is better redding or forster? I can get forster much cheaper, but if redding is better i'll go for it. I will load bergers vld 190/210 bullets.

Thanks, Thomas

Forster is way better, in my opinion. You "get more" esp with the bullet seater. I own both and prefer Forster.

I have upgraded some years back to Redding Die Sets. I have the following problem with their dies:
1) The lock rings are crap;
2) The expander ball needs much more lubrication compared to other dies - you can upgrade this to carbide expander ball at an additional cost.
3) No vent hole on the shoulder of the case and should you use too much wax it cause dented shoulders. Should you use mica this problem is solved.

I later also bought a few Foster Die Sets and I regard them better in the following sence:
1) Lockrings is top class;
2) Expander ball sits higher in the die and thereby improves concentrivity of the case neck. Expander ball is rounded which allows less lubrication.
3) There is a vent hole on the shoulder which helps when you accidently used too much wax.

When you use the Redding bushing dies much of the above should not be a problem.

The Micrometer on the seater die of the Redding is better quality.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.