Pushing it out, 1930 yards!

bigngreen

So after initial success at 1030 and 1435 my hunting buddy and I wanted to push it to a mile and see what the rifle and shooter could do. We don't have the equipment to do it accurately, we had to range three times to get close and took wind reading between 12mph and 22mph at target and mid way.

We punched all data into Shooter and set the first one to a sighter target but thinking it was 1980 yards it went over with no feed back, had my buddy hold low and sent a second one and we got feed back and made a correction with put us at 1930 yards with a 17 mph wind. We took two more sighters, one just of each side of the gong with good elevation. I personally didn't think we would be close with what we were working with but by this time getting on paper looked good.
He sent three shots at the target, looked good so we had a drive to the target:D
I know it's small start but we're feeling good, specially after confirming range with google earth! Now to work on cold bore hits
.jpg

Awesome!! These were 300 Bergers ??

gun)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff

BnG, I think the next test shold be to send some into a pack. Go for the big dog in the middle and dont stop sending them till you have a pile of stinking furr.

Great shooting boys!! Darn nice rifle too.

Jeff

I learned a little about air flow during this shoot that I had never really put together till going out this far. The shoot had us shooting through a saddle about mid way down range, I know this would compress the air and speed it up and the wind reading showed this and I usually add 50% to my wind value when in this kind of spot but when the bullet landed I was of by 4+MOA and had my buddy over correct which rarely happens, usually I under estimate.
After he made a correction and was on target I was watching the mirage and I figured out what got me, we were shooting over the compressed fast air, I could see the mirage accelerating at the saddle but higher up there was a distinct air flow that was slower but more stable, when we focused on the mirage in this upper air flow vs the lower our windage tightened up.

We ended up having 62.5 moa up and 13.5 moa for a 17mph wind from 8 o'clock, I wish I could have picked up the trace as it would have been a doozie!!!

Looks like it worked, the deer in the pic is doin' the backstroke:D

Very nice group, especially considering having to range 3 times for yardage. Then make the propper corrections. Ya, I'd say you bout got er dialed. Very impressive shootin budy!
Interesting point on the compressed wind vs non compressed above it. This is exactly the kind of info, & posts that belong here! Thank you for noting your observations, as well as for the cool thread! Great pics too.

Very well done considering how you ranged your target and @ distances like that each shoots wind call is huge. I guess it's time for a vectronics. I would love to see your google earth view of your postion and your targets, time of day, condition, ect. What did shooter tell you for spin drift and what was the TOF for that shot, what cant device are you using, what scope, what retical, what shooting position ext? And by the way Great shooting!!

good post and good shooting.
as for the trace, its difficult following it all the way to the target at those distances.
its normally lost at the high point of the trajectory. at that point its best to switch focus to the target and watch for the actual hit.
its not uncommon for inexperienced spotters to lose the trace and claim the shot went way high. so be aware and insist on knowing if the actual hit was seen or if their opinion was based on where they lost the trace.
wind can also impact our ability to follow it. as does position of the spotter and quality of the optics used.

Nice shooting best I have done is 13" from dead center on the bull at 1826 hope to stretch it out there again once Grit has his way with my lapua... took me three shots to walk it in, but then I had a couple nice shots right in there before the weather kicked up and shut us down..heavy wind and snow don't affect much ha ha

Bigngreen nice shooting you wouldn't happen to work for re miller in dillon?

Jordan

Nice shooting best I have done is 13" from dead center on the bull at 1826 hope to stretch it out there again once Grit has his way with my lapua... took me three shots to walk it in, but then I had a couple nice shots right in there before the weather kicked up and shut us down..heavy wind and snow don't affect much ha ha

Bigngreen nice shooting you wouldn't happen to work for re miller in dillon?

Jordan
PM coming.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts