Got it done at 1,260 yards

Doug Crowe

IMG_3035.jpeg
IMG_2725.jpeg
IMG_3034.jpeg

This past week I had the privilege to fulfill a dream I've wanted to do for 30 years, Marco Polo and a Pamir Ibex in Tajikistan.

I chose to deal directly through the land/lease holder and can't say enough good things about Murgab Hunting Company, Zafar, Nurlan, Bek, their guides and their Hot Springs Camp.

For all those who've done it, a truly incredible experience right ? I practiced at the 1,000 yard range out to a mile all summer and didn't see a single shot under 700 yards while in Tajikistan. My sheep shot was not one I wanted, but with great gear and no wind I made a 1,260 yard shot, into the sun, at 15,500' and a 30 degree angle. The Murgab gents said it's the longest shot they've ever had in their 42 years of being in operation. Anybody know differently ?

It was the largest sheep we had seen by far, we jumped out and I had under a minute to get set up. First shot ranged at 1,100 yards, bang ! Wasn't sure, later found out a hit, not lethal. Second shot, I had thirty seconds to get my breathing right, zoomed in, and pieoyow, broke down like a lawn chair on the spot. I'd rather be lucky than good any day 😜

Ibex shot was 725 yards, same tough shot. No time to get ready, 35 degree angle. In both cases, the guides of Murgab were amazing to find such huge animals, but then to also hike the mountain to bring them down. 57" sheep, around 425 pounds, no ground shrinkage.

6.5mm Sherman Short Magnum, 125 grain solid copper, badlands bulldozer bullets, exit wounds on both, zero degrees F.

Rifle built custom by Matt Kranz. Custom carbon stock and barrel, just over 4.6lbs without glass, baton light. Leupold VX-6HD 4x24x56 lit reticle. Huge props to Matt !

Place I trained was with Dan and Forest Newberry at BangSteel long range shooting in SW, Va. also huge props to them for making my dope chart at 14,000'