How do you guys figure out the range at 1400+ yards?

I know what your talking about . I have a 1918 Bosh and lomb coinsidence 0ne meter-(I think, one meter ) its been a while sence I looked, and it's marked out to 20,000 yards.
Its a split immage and yes they work but they take practice .
Back before we could get lazers that was the only way. In todays high-tech battel fields they may find a new life as they trensmit no energy and are there for undetectable.
By the way I had mine referbished by Earl Osborne, in California. He did abeautiful job.
The reality about that type of range finder is the same as it is for the 50 browning , they work quite well if you know what your doing but who wants to pack one!

there are excellant rangefinders other than the lazers.
prior to lazers becoming popular which has been fairly recent the surplus military coincidence type rangefinders was about all there was.
certainly for hunters who move about alot the lazers have been a wonderfull thing due to size.
but as stated not all are capable of the longer distances. some including my
swarovski arent always reliable at any distance under certain conditions.
thats especially so beyond 1000 yds.
ive owned a barr&stroud military rangefinder for about 40 years.
several others in our pa. camp have them also as do many others i know.
i more recently also aquired a swiss WILD unit which is about identical in most respects to the barr&stroud. that unit was made in the 70s and is better opticly than the barr&stroud. that unit measures to 10.000 meters whereas my barr&stroud measures to 20.000 yds. some of those measure in meters also.
both can be calibrated for accuracy on the spot if necessary.
i check mine at a known distance every couple years.
these are tripod mounted units that are about 3' wide, and weigh about 10 pounds. they work every time so long as the target is visable.
for those who hunt from a stationary location or those who are rock
shooting at extreme distance these units would be an excellant option.
over the years weve taken ours to remote spots and made range notes
by ranging various permanant objects. that way we dont need a rangefinder
on future visits to those spots. otherwise we set one up as soon as we arrive
at a location.
prices of these units have dropped somewhat due to the popularity of lazers.
expect to pay from 300 to about 500 dollars for one.
they occaisionly show up on ebay. be carefull of german units as not all are
usable for this type use.

AMEN!

I use mine for prairie dog shooting at long range. I made the mount so I could be a little more comfortable.

I have no trouble ranging prairie dogs at 1000 yards. I've range speed goats at over a mile.

newmount001.jpg

2012042.jpg

I took a close look at them several months ago. At that time they had a 99% positive on ebay
I also talked to them on the phone ;mostly because of the name .I was a bit suspishous of the name newcon I was thinking new-con and so I took a good look, but if thinking about making a purches I would investigate until I was sure about them. No need to be in a big hurry.
When I called them what I was told was; they mostly do business with the GSA they make all sorts of electronic stuff. Thats why they have a market for $29,000.00, 21 klick range finders. they also make night vision equipment , but to buy night vision equipment from canada you have to fill out paper work and be approved. ( not that you needed to know that) They are on the internet. Look them up and go from there.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.