Predictions for The next rifle caliber/ cartridge trend

22 Creedmoor with a 1/7 or faster twist for long heavy bullets. I love the Swift but hate the slow twist and the brass stretch.
We have to have a new SAMMI cartridge to solve those problems.
270 something will be a huge success. With the new 27 Nosler and Sig 277 Fury will certainly be a huge contender in the new cartridge race. Nosler is releasing a new bullet 165 gr. for the 27 Nosler this is is huge. I have been a huge 270 fan since a small boy growing up reading Jack O'Conner. The 270 just works and has accounted for lots of game since 1925.

I'd like to see the 30/06 and 308 return...

I guess I'm old school after giving a 6.5 A-square a run for its money,,, dont get me right or wrong since its a awesome cartridge,,, but I can get by with the old stuff for my hunting and shooting needs...

There are 7 or 16 new cartridges coming in the following days and years to come...

Ill sit on top of the hill with my old school and let them catch-up,,, nothing like making room for the next latest and greatest... Ha...

Cheers from the North

I think that could be a possibility. I would lean on it being successful if it's with a 160-170gr bullet in a short action cartridge driven to somewhere in the neighborhood of 2800fps or less, maybe much less for popularity of low recoil.
^^^THIS.

I saw this topic and immediately thought of a 6.8 Creedmoor. I have a trued short action just waiting for it...reamer, brass, and dies are all we need. :cool:

I think that could be a possibility. I would lean on it being successful if it's with a 160-170gr bullet in a short action cartridge driven to somewhere in the neighborhood of 2800fps or less, maybe much less for popularity of low recoil.

Could you achieve those specs with something like a 270-08?

I personally think more bullet development and rifles chambered with appropriate twists to shoot them will be the next step. Browning has kind of gone this route, and look at there popularity over the past couple years in the long rang World of factory rifles.

I think if Tikka and Remington got on board with this idea, they wouldhave huge success. I mean, take a Remington Sendero chambered in 264 Win Mag or 25-06 with a 7.5-8 twist and a 24" Remington 5R in 243 with a 8 twist....

My thoughts for mass sales.

Steve

I'm in the 270 camp, somebody is bound to wake up one day and realize that at least half the gun safes in the country have at least 1 .270win sitting in it (probably) so if they were to offer a new .270 anything it would satisfy those of us that actually know what they're talking about, and for the millions more out there who would jump on it because "grandpa always said that was the best gun he ever owned, so if this is the new improved version its bound to be better"
If hornady was smart they would do it and name it 270 Creedmore, get the name recognition from the 270 and the creedmore.
I think to the "unwilling to educate themselves masses" out there, calling it a 277 "best name ever" would kill it faster than anything remington ever put out.
Honest confession, before I chose to educate myself and quit just repeating what I'd heard, I thought 22-250, .223, 22mag were 3 different calibers, then with a little learning under my belt I came to understand that they were all 3 a .223 caliber which didnt make sense to me but I just knew that meant they were all .223"
I'm always continuing to learn, and it wasnt until I tried to find .223 bullets to use with my .223 reloading dies that I realized how much I still had/have to learn

The trouble with a 270 or 7mm creedmoor parent case is that you will need a long action to do it with high bc bullets and if a fellow was going to run a long action he would go ahead take the advantage of a larger case. The 6.5 prc in some factory rifles are long action which negates it's selling point as a short action cartridge. Nothing wrong with a long action as I have many. But as I stated before a WSSM case, ideally an improved version with 35 degree shoulder pushing a 170gr 270 cal or 180gr 7mm in a short action to around 2800fps that actually would fit in a short action magazine with the boat tail junction seated above the case shoulder/ neck junction would be an advantageous design that's never been commercialized. A true short action mild recoiling round that carries more down range energy than the 6.5 creedmoor and bucks the wind even harder. Efficiency galor with RL 26 in that combo.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.