Predictions for The next rifle caliber/ cartridge trend

Oh I'm not advocating using a .270win as the parent case to make a .270cm...just that they should name it that. 270-08 just wouldnt grab the public's attention as well. I'm also not giving an opinion of what I think the next BEST cartridge will/could be bit rather what will be trendy next.
What it should be and what it will be are 2 totally different things.

If the mass mfrs were interested in putting together the BEST rifles they would go ahead and get around to it, but they must follow the money, and I only know personally 5 other people who own a reloading press, only 2 of them know what a 6.5PRC or 7-08 and 1 knows about Rich's SST...but I know thousands of people who own at least one gun. Those thousands are where the money is for the mass mfrs.

Oh I'm not advocating using a .270win as the parent case to make a .270cm...just that they should name it that. 270-08 just wouldnt grab the public's attention as well. I'm also not giving an opinion of what I think the next BEST cartridge will/could be bit rather what will be trendy next.
What it should be and what it will be are 2 totally different things.
I agree, I get what you are saying. A cool name seems to go along way with folks these days. Funny how it's like that. 264, 260, 270, etc... nomenclature is cool anymore.

My dad bought a 270 cuz that's what his dad had. And I got one for the same reason. I never had a clue why it's such a good cartridge when I got it.

If the mass mfrs were interested in putting together the BEST rifles they would go ahead and get around to it, but they must follow the money, and I only know personally 5 other people who own a reloading press, only 2 of them know what a 6.5PRC or 7-08 and 1 knows about Rich's SST...but I know thousands of people who own at least one gun. Those thousands are where the money is for the mass mfrs.
This is true. In times past some of the new cartridges were gimmicky and people bought into it until they got more educated. Some of those cartridges did indeed have some legit advantages. The 6.5 creedmoor was a great thing for rifle manufactures cause if fit right into a standard short action & standard short action magazines, no changed required.

The trend seems to be ever decreasing bullet diameters. Military went from .45-70 to .30 cal (Krag then Springfield) then down to .224 cal (5.56mm). Civilian competitors on similar path? 30-06 & .300WM became .308 Win, then 6.5CM, and now 6mm CM is taking over.

That being the trend, then .22 Nosler/.224 Valkyrie/.22CM are on the right path. Short, fat case firing long & heavy for caliber .224 bullets, likely over 100 grains, because we are now all about the BC of bullets these days. But no one likes recoil...or noise. So the .224 SCM is next (SCM= super creedmoor).

The trend seems to be ever decreasing bullet diameters. Military went from .45-70 to .30 cal (Krag then Springfield) then down to .224 cal (5.56mm). Civilian competitors on similar path? 30-06 & .300WM became .308 Win, then 6.5CM, and now 6mm CM is taking over.

That being the trend, then .22 Nosler/.224 Valkyrie/.22CM are on the right path. Short, fat case firing long & heavy for caliber .224 bullets, likely over 100 grains, because we are now all about the BC of bullets these days. But no one likes recoil...or noise. So the .224 SCM is next (SCM= super creedmoor).
I've been working up loads for a 22 creedmoor with 88gr elds today. I can't see how it couldn't be a success, but many cartridges that should have been a success wasn't one. So who knows. I hope it does turn out to be chambered in factory rifles. Ammo is available from copper Creek.

I never thought the 6.5CM would be the next big thing. Where's the over-lord velocity? Weatherby & Lazzeroni showed the world we must just want more & more speed. So how does this under 2800fps 'slug' of a cartridge take over the world? BC! It's as if people suddenly discovered BC, and then it became gospel & religion. Who knew!? So .22 cal with super high BC must be 'what's next'...

But predicting the public is like trying to understand why women need 50 pairs of shoes; it's just beyond the power of mere men.

Valkyrie is becoming more readily available, but the majority of ones I've seen still aren't getting the right twist on them

I wouldn't rule out the 6.5PRC becoming the next blockbuster, stifling the opportunity for different caliber to emerge. Keep in mind that the 6.5 CM took a few years to ramp up to blockbuster status. I think the 6.5 CM got a "boost" due to the it's convergence with the popularity boom of PRS. The 6.5 PRC seems to be ramping up in a similar fashion, and we have not yet seen the peek. It's possible the "boost" for the 6.5 PRC will be its attraction as an exciting new high performance cartridge that's a perfect fit for the deer hunter....The "general" deer-rifle market is sizable! While only a small percentage of deer hunters are likely to take up serious LR hunting, the possibility has appeal. Just my speculation.

The 22 and 6mm CM's will ride the 6.5's coattails and be popular, the 270wsm was met with low sales and interest so the 27 caliber is probably not it. 6.5 cartridges and 7mm will stay strong with added new chamberings to come. Just IMHO ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.