Precision stock works???

Levi

I am currently in the middle of putting together my custom 6.5x284 and it is time to order my stock. I'm really interested in the Precision Stock Works stock. Does anybody have any first hand experience with this stock? I have always ran A-3's on my customs, but I'm looking for more of a well rounded hunting stock for this build. I am aware that these stocks are made by mcmillian, so they should be very high quality. This rifle will be used for long range deer,sheep, mt. Goats, and antelope. Please help me decide.

My Dakota 97 wears a precision. I have been happy with it. Comparing it to my HS Precision I would say the fit and finish are a tad better. If I were building I wouldn't hesitate to use one.

Great stock, great people to deal with. I've got one on order now and will probably place another this month.

I got the chance to try one and loved it and dealing with those guys is like doing business with your best friend in a small town.

Although I carried it for a week of deer hunting I have only shot it off a bench. I added a Triad Tactical stock pack to raise the comb up for use with the 30 mm scope. The stock pack should allow me to shoot prone without issue. I just shot a .272 group with it so for what is worth the gun shoots. Stock has a little to do with that.....

I like mine too, McMillan quality great design. I like shooting it offhand too. It just sets in the shoulder and grip nice. Very satisfied. It would be nice if they added an adjustable cheekpiece in the future.

Is the comb high enough to get a good cheek weld? That was one of the things I was looking for, that I thought would be much better with the PSW, opposed to the A-3.

It is for me but I mount my scopes low anyhow. I hate having the scope any higher than is needed for clearance between it and the bell.

You can as an option though have it made with an adjustable cheek riser I believe or add one like you can do with any of the McMillans.

Thanks again for the replies. As far as the grip goes, are the ergonomics as far as hand position similar to the A-3 style pistol grip? It appears from the pictures of the stock that the hand positioning would be close, but I have never had a chance to see one of these stocks in person. Sorry for all the questions, I just am about to commit to this stock and don't want to be disappointed.

The hand just slides in, one of the benefits of the stock is the grip area is slightly contoured to fit your hand, that's a big part of the design, a competitor uses the thumbhole, that is not as custom feeling as the way this one is made.

I've used three of them and been impressed, good cheek weld with Nightforce 3.5-15 and 5.5-22 with 50 mil objectives. VERY good stock for an over all multi position rifle, it's good on a bipod of the ground also but there will be a range that it's a little more difficult to shoot than say a A-5.

I'd use them on everything I build shy of a dedicated ELR rifle!!!

Thanks bigngreen! I'm planning on using the stock on a 6.5x284, so it should be perfect. I have spoke with the guys at PSW and they have been awesome to work with. I just wanted some firsthand knowledge from people that have used the stock before I "pull the trigger." I 'm really excited for this build. It should be a killin' machine for sure!

Well, I went a head and ordered this stock two weeks ago. I'm having it shipped straight to my smith (Nathan Dagley) to put my rifle together. Details to come...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.