Opinions: Do buyers prefer a new custom rifle to be shot with demonstrated accuracy, or an unfired rifle?

Jonoton

Hello,

I am considering selling a custom rifle I had built, which I have not yet fired. This is a case of the build taking much longer than intended, and having moved on to the next shiny thing.

The barrel and extensive action work was done by a top gunsmith, while no bedding work has been done on the stock. All components are top shelf, and I have a complete package of top notch reloading components and dies, all new and for this rifle.

My question is, do buyers value a new rifle more if it has not been shot at all (other than by the gunsmith), or a rifle which has been fired a limited amount? And would you rather have bedding work done, or a fresh stock to be bedded, if necessary, according to your preferred method?

Thank you for your thoughts!

My question is, do buyers value a new rifle more if it has not been shot at all (other than by the gunsmith), or a rifle which has been fired a limited amount? And would you rather have bedding work done, or a fresh stock to be bedded, if necessary, according to your preferred method?

There are probably a ton of answers available:

Depends on who the gunsmith is. Unknown or little known means very little as a point of sales. Some sellers state a particular gunsmith's name as if we all recognize him. Chances are, his reputation is local which is not bad just still unknown outside of a small circle. The big names are all busy because they are well respected and known in much larger circles.

Not shot at all goes both ways. Unknown accuracy even with top tier parts and components. You could buy the parts yourself and have the build finished by a known gunsmith. Way too many 'new' builds assembled with DIY parts and a barrel vise.

Shot very little, kinda like a cherry, once it's popped, it's done. It's no longer new or original condition.

Bedding will depend on the quality of the bedding. Done well and properly, it can be a positive point. Done in a mediocre manner, it's a real turn off. I've seen sellers write a description of a rifle being bedded thinking it will help the sale and it looked like it was done with a hoe.

Be prepared and knowledgeable. Don't be afraid to ask questions and always ask for quality photographs.

:)

Unfired with an accuracy guarantee from the Smith would be my preference. Now, I've never owned a true custom rifle, but if I had my rathers. I wouldn't mind it being fired if it was a cartridge with a long barrel life, but if you're selling a 28 nosler with 300 rds through it, you've basically shot half of that barrel out in my mind.

I'm not in the market, but I would strongly prefer to see the accuracy from a full speed load.

IMO, an unproven rifle if really hard to value regardless of the name on the parts.

A proven rifle, even made by a little known smith, is worth quite a bit with proven accuracy.

These are tools. The value is in the actual performance.

Those shiny new things can create issues. I would not expect to ever recover the costs involved in a custom rifle build. Some people get as much enjoyment in the planning and build process as the actual end product. It really depends the eye of the beholder and if it is exactly what the are looking for. As for the comments regarding the GS, I completely agree. Name and reputation still means a great deal.

Hello,

I am considering selling a custom rifle I had built, which I have not yet fired. This is a case of the build taking much longer than intended, and having moved on to the next shiny thing.

The barrel and extensive action work was done by a top gunsmith, while no bedding work has been done on the stock. All components are top shelf, and I have a complete package of top notch reloading components and dies, all new and for this rifle.

Thank you for your thoughts!
I think it really depends on the buyer,I feel much more confident and almost every gunsmith will at least test fire it before they let it go.once it's been fired the buyer may or may not believe your number on the round count,but having been fired a test target is always a plus

My smith sends a text that the project is almost complete and within a couple days I get another text with a pic of the rifle and the group it shot and a ready for pick-up message. If it didn't group, it stays in tuning and doesn't leave till its proven accurate to his standards. I see no downside with this. I'm confident he's not shooting more than zeroing and a 3 to 5 shot group, unless there's a problem. If there is, I'd much rather he work through it than I. Saves me burning through time, powder and bullets in load development only to find out it needs to go back due to some issue.

Ig name Smith prefer unfired (except by Smith) lil kniwn builder like to see target. 1000 yd target even better.

Personally, with no experience on my part so take it for what it is, I'd prefer one that's been fired with low round count at a significantly lower cost than when it was built, with proven ammunition and at least the scope base. I see them occasionally come up for sale here and one of these days when I'm out of this house remodel, I'm going to pull the trigger and get one

Thanks for the input, everybody!
I had not considered selling it as a barreled action.
Long Rifles, Inc did all of the work, truing the action etc. Their bedding work was prohibitively expensive for this project, unfortunately.

Will the builder of said rifle provide warranty to the new purchaser or does that end with you? Is the Smith firing for function test only or did he also perform grouping tests and load development?

I would prefer a fired rifle, because then it is a used rifle and should be cheaper and hopefully proven to shoot well.

Also I would be hesitant to buy a rifle from somebody who changes their mind so easily that they won't even fire the darn thing after spending the money and waiting so long to get it.

Sorry, but you asked for opinions... 🙂

Recent Posts