New long shot with elk rifle

COBrad

Long range hunting got serious several years ago when I started shooting marmots as far away as 749 yards with a Cooper .270. I just couldn't seem to find success beyond that, so sold a couple of Coopers to help fund a real long range gun... but that's a different story for the ELR forum.
My big game rifles, elk mostly, get used far more as varmint rifles than taking an elk or two most years. I get a real kick out of medium long range marmot hunting with a light weight hunting rifle.
This rifle weighs about 8.25 lbs. scoped. It's taken quite a few marmots beyond 500 yards, but 794 is the new longest shot. Rifle is an Allen Precision.

Attachments

• 794 yds hog w elk rifle 8.22.15.jpg
    794 yds hog w elk rifle 8.22.15.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 210
The rifle is chambered for the 270 WSM. Barrel is 26", and I'm shooting 140 gr. Berger hunting VLD's. Rifle seems to shoot half-MOA consistently, though I did shoot a .186 not long ago.

Nice shootin' with a good looking rig. I'm also interested what scope you're using to adjust out parallax error.

Can you say what stock was used to keep the weight down?

The rifle is built on a Stiller Predator action, Jewell trigger, 26" Satern fluted #4 taper barrel, Manners MCS-SL stock, Talley rings/bases... and a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 scope... no parallax adjustment. I would have used the 2.5-10x42, but they didn't come out with it until right after I bought the 32.
I'm shooting Berger hunting VLD's at 3080 FPS.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.