My new elk rifle

njones125

Thought I would post a pic of my new gun since most of the research on how I wanted to build it came from this forum as well as the initial push to build it. This started out as a mark V 30-378 which I had for sale on here, after being contacted from a forum member who was interested in it we talked and he explained to me what I could build off of that action and turns out he is a great guy, has been nothing but helpful throughout the whole build (the last 7 months). Anyway I wanted a elk rifle lighter than what most of you guys probably consider a good long range weight, I want to be confident hunting out to 6-7 hundred yards and play with steel out to a thousand. Dave at Youngs Gunsmithing here in MT did an awesome job on the build and it turned out exactly how I had hoped and shoots even better. It's a 338 lapua improved, lilja barrel, B&C stock, Timney trigger, Near Alphamount, and topped with a 5-20 Huskemaw. Now I just need an elk to cooperate and end up in the crosshairs in 2 more days! This is a great forum with a lot of very helpful information.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 67
First time shooting the rifle, 3-5 shot groups and a 3 shot group, this is with cleaning between shots and was a rushed throw together take a guess load that I did just to start barrel break in. This is my first custom rifle and I honestly didn't expect groups like this without some serious load development. Lucky maybe? But I am very happy!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 94
Thought I would post a pic of my new gun since most of the research on how I wanted to build it came from this forum as well as the initial push to build it. This started out as a mark V 30-378 which I had for sale on here, after being contacted from a forum member who was interested in it we talked and he explained to me what I could build off of that action and turns out he is a great guy, has been nothing but helpful throughout the whole build (the last 7 months). Anyway I wanted a elk rifle lighter than what most of you guys probably consider a good long range weight, I want to be confident hunting out to 6-7 hundred yards and play with steel out to a thousand. Dave at Youngs Gunsmithing here in MT did an awesome job on the build and it turned out exactly how I had hoped and shoots even better. It's a 338 lapua improved, lilja barrel, B&C stock, Timney trigger, Near Alphamount, and topped with a 5-20 Huskemaw. Now I just need an elk to cooperate and end up in the crosshairs in 2 more days! This is a great forum with a lot of very helpful information.

Congrats on your new sweet elk rig. Dave build awesome and accurate rifles. I've been going with him since 2003. He just build me my .30 Lara a couple of months ago.

If you figure out how elk cooperate please do share.

Happy safe hunting.

Cheers!

Ed

I haven't had a chance to get a weight on it yet. I will try to do that after I get back next week and let you know.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.