New elk gun for my wife

MontanaOutdoorsman406

I am looking at a new elk gun for my wife needs to be fairly light and with modest recoil I was thinking 7mm08 or 308 also max rifle budget is $700 without scope any suggestions on caliber and rifle choices are appreciated.

I'd look at browning, tikka or savage. You could even go with a ruger american for much less. The predator model is really known for its accuracy. I'd look at 6.5 creedmoor as well. It's got very mild recoil and plenty capable of elk. Also 25-06 is great with low recoil and plenty of juice and shoots very flat.

If you we're looking for an all around rifle, I would suggest a 6.5. I wouldn't recommend anything under a .30 cal for a dedicated elk rifle though, maybe one of the big 7's. I love 6.5's, but there's just so many better choices for a dedicated elk rifle.

My wife and teenage daughters shoot a 300 wsm for elk, very manageable recoil, big whop on the other end.

I used to own a Howa in 300wsm. It was the most accurate factory rifle I'd ever shot with handloaded 180 accubonds. I do like the idea of a 30 cal on elk as well. I'm now a believer in muzzle brakes on everything and would put em on a .22lr if I shot em more. It's never a good idea to shoot without ear protection anyways. (I know, I know, let's not get into that debate). Get her something she's confident with.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts