Outdone by my wife

Timberbeast7

I'm a new member to the site (although I have been reading it for some time, just hadn't signed up) and thought I'd share the result of this years deer season. My wife spotted her buck across a small canyon in the Salmon River breaks. He was bedded and about 500 yds away. He had us pegged immediately but he didn't seem too worried. We moved to 400 yds and were setting up to shoot him when he stood up and walked up the ridge into some small timber. We saw him briefly once more slowly working his way up the ridge so we decided to try and get above him and come down on him. We got to the top of the ridge and had just stashed our packs so we could stalk out the ridge and I spotted a doe at about 50 yds. I told my wife to take a knee and confirmed that she could see the deer from where she was kneeling. In short order another doe walked into the opening through the trees and following her, the buck. Upon seeing the buck I immediately whispered for her to shoot it, to which she replied "It's just a tiny one"!!?? I again told her to shoot that buck, and after a few seconds she complied and killed him (Evidently she could see the body but could only see the front forks and thought he was a forked horn). It is her first buck (only her second deer). I scored it at 163 gross.
md1.jpg

md3.jpg

I hunted 7 more days hoping to find a monster, but with the rut winding down and the weather worsening I decided to shoot one of the average size bucks we had been seeing. Spotted him bedded down at 353 yds and put one 130 grain Federal powershok from my 270 WSM through the base of his neck. He never knew what him him. He is my best mulie so far and my longest shot so far (just getting into the long range game) and I also got it on video. All that combined with a week long hunt in the Salmon river with my wife made for a pretty good time.

wade2.jpg

wade1.jpg

awesome pics and it is good to see the ladies getting out and hunting, even if they do beat us every once in awhile. Just dont let it happen again or she will never let you live it down LOL Just kidding and again awesome pics

You wouldn't be the same guy I watched overtighten the drag on his wifes reel and cause her to lose her steellhead down on the river would you? I guess it wasn't you because you don't seem to have any bruises on you.:D

Very good job on the deer.

Not to be nosy but what part of the watershed is called the "breaks". I was down below North Fork but I wasn't very concerned with deer.

Congrats to you and your wife. Fine story with good shooting and fantastic animals. Seems like the way things should go.

Mike Alford

Last edited:
Buffalobob,

I use the term "breaks" fairly loosely. We were hunting near the confluence of the Salmon river and the Snake river (Unit 11). I consider the country that looks like the pics below to be "breaks". The pics are looking into the Salmon river, we were hunting just "behind" where the pics were taken.

No, that wasn't me you saw fishing. And if I did sabotage my wife you would wouldn't see bruises, you would see arm/leg casts and bandages.:D

BuckCountry1.jpg

SunriseontheSalmon1.jpg

Beautiful area, that's what I imagine heaven to be like. WOW

Just think, if you and your wife hunt together and are excited by the success of the other, is either of your really ever outdone??? I would think the two of you are fairly fortunate.

Mike Alford

Congrats to both, You are not alone. I have been chasing whitetails hard for my 22 year hunting carreer and have taken alot of really nice bucks and a couple big bucks for this area.

My wife started hunting when we were dating. After only 4 years of hunting she tagged a big 6x6 with split eyeguards that scored 163 4/8"

My biggest bucks are 161 5/8" and 160 7/8".

Join the club my friend. Hell for a while she even had the biggest pronghorn in the house but I was able to top that several years ago but not by much. Only because hers had a couple inches broken off one tip.

I refuse to take her on an elk hunt!!! LOL

Congrats again,

Kirby Allen(50)

My wife started hunting when we were dating. After only 4 years of hunting she tagged a big 6x6 with split eyeguards that scored 163 4/8"
I refuse to take her on an elk hunt!!! LOL

No kidding! She didn't hunt until we were dating either. The mule deer hunt was my consolation to her because I wouldn't let her go to Montana this fall to chase antelope with me. She sure made it count!

By the way, it was my first time hunting antelope and it was an absolute blast!! Plan on doing it again next year. LOTS of opportunities and frustrations combined when hunting those sharp eyed critters. We went 3 for 3 in Montana, mine was the biggest at 13.5". 130 gr. powershok from the 270 WSM @ 307 yards. (Don't mean to bore people with a bunch of pics, but I kinda assume everyone else likes hunting pics as much as I do)

ant1.jpg

And my dad's.
ant3.jpg

Last edited:
Boring people???? hell this is the only reason I get on the computer is to look at pics. Nice goats I hunted them this year also being my first year and had a BLAST, never laughed so hard on a hunt in my life, I hunted in southern new mexico here is a pic of my goat

34451antelope_5.jpg

and my Colorado elk muzzle loader (first year also)

34451171828-R1-08-20_009.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.