Help....my wife cant see consistently through th scope.

DSMITH1651

My wife love to hunt but she has been getting very frustrated because she can't see through a scope consistently. She missed the opportunity on a buck last year because she couldn't see through the scope. Its bad enough that she's not eaven excited about our elk hunt next week.

Is there a somewhere she can take some shooting classes and get professionally fitted so she can enjoy going again.

I have tried to help but I dont know how and it normally ends in a fight, from what I can see she is shouldering the gun to low and can't get a check weld but she says its comfortable there. I'm going to make a foam riser for the stock at work today.

Attachments

• 20201024_093701.jpg
    20201024_093701.jpg
    992.1 KB · Views: 1,813
  • 20201024_093333.jpg
    20201024_093333.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 1,742
Keeping the magnification on the scope at its lowest setting can improve the eye box. Faster to get your eye where it needs to be then crank it up if need be. Im sorry but a week isn't much time, to either get her shooting a poorly fitting rifle better, or get her a better fitting rifle. I hear the Weatherby Camilla fits women much better.If you both are going to keep trying maybe letting her know that, being comfortable on the rifle matters but seeing through the scope has to come before that. Good luck.

Sometimes you can turn back the mag a bit on the scope for a bit more eye relief. her face is a bit back on the stock... seems a bit like my teenage son shooting his rifle... If not, can you move the scope back a bit without it being a safety hazard if she shoots from standing? Rifles should be set up for one person; if they work for both of you that's fine, but if your stature isn't similar then it probably won't work well.

Sometimes you can turn back the mag a bit on the scope for a bit more eye relief. her face is a bit back on the stock... seems a bit like my teenage son shooting his rifle... If not, can you move the scope back a bit without it being a safety hazard if she shoots from standing? Rifles should be set up for one person; if they work for both of you that's fine, but if your stature isn't similar then it probably won't work well.

I agree, she has her own rifle for deer but she has the same problems with it. I am trying to figure out how to get it set right for her. I want to have a custom built but I want it built right for her

I agree, she has her own rifle for deer but she has the same problems with it. I am trying to figure out how to get it set right for her. I want to have a custom built but I want it built right for her
Some people have a real time using a higher magnification scope. I had to put my eldest son on a straight 6x scope to make target acquisition quicker for him. Everyone has to have all the bells and whistles on their scopes so it's getting hard to even find a good straight x scope anymore. For mid range hunting a straight 6x, 2-7x, 3-9x is plenty good.

First, the stock must fit her properly....meaning, for most women it needs to be shortened. Once you have proper stock fit, if it's a power adjustable scope....put it to it's highest power setting, where the scope has the least amount of eye relief! With the scope loose in the rings, have her close her eyes, mount the rifle, and open her eyes. If she does not have a full field of view....move scope forward or back and repeat. The field must be full, immediately upon her opening her eyes as the eye will try to compensate. It may take quite a few attempts to get proper eye relief! This method has worked quite well for us, for many years! The key to making this work.....the stock must "fit" her properly! memtb

Last edited:
My wife love to hunt but she has been getting very frustrated because she can't see through a scope consistently. She missed the opportunity on a buck last year because she couldn't see through the scope. Its bad enough that she's not eaven excited about our elk hunt next week.

Is there a somewhere she can take some shooting classes and get professionally fitted so she can enjoy going again.

I have tried to help but I dont know how and it normally ends in a fight, from what I can see she is shouldering the gun to low and can't get a check weld but she says its comfortable there. I'm going to make a foam riser for the stock at work today.
In your pictures she is higher off the comb than you are I think her cheek weld would not be consistent you may need some kind of ad on riser also like mentioned keep the magnification as low as possible

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.