scoped! now my wife fear's shooting.

Also, try some dry fire practice in the house. Get a dummy round and run that enough that her expectation is for a click of the action instead of a bang. Anticipation ruins a lot of shots

Alot of the scoes have a sharp edge.You can by after market rings for many that srew on with a rubber edge Leoold makes them

My son was kind of scared shooting the rifles..more from the,sound than the recoil....I broke him of his problem by buying 28 gauge shotguns and a clay pigeon launcher(electric type..my shoulders are bad enough without physically throwing birds)...he eventually figured out to keep his head down and that the blast was part of the fun.....
Maybe try that with your wife....after a few thousand rounds she won't flinch anymore........or maybe go the easy way and buy one of those short red dot scopes...four inch style...she will have to learn to Kentucky but there won't be anymore scoping in her future....or like someone else suggested a scout style.....
I have seen many big boys forget to hold on the gun....but I seriously laugh at them..... super glue can fix even the biggest scope cut......

Get a brake or can on that rifle and get her back on it. I had to do that (a brake) with my son's 6.5 creedmore. He could shoot the rifle without it, but he didn't shoot well at all. The noise from a brake can be mitigated with electronic muffs, so that's a non issue. A longer (4" or so) eye relief scope wouldn't hurt either.
Edit... you say you have a vx2 on it... what does the real eye relief measure?? Midway specs the 3-9 at 3.7 to 4.7"... sometimes in the real world that is not 100% correct though...

Last edited:
Well it happened...my wife scoped her nose so bad she broke it! Here is the story. She has been hunting her whole life, even more so than me. She used to shoot a 243 but stepped up to a 7mm-08 2 years ago. While she was hunting in a tree stand, a very nice doe came in from her right side. She is right handed so in order to shoot the deer she had to turn to her right and was in a very awkward position. This lead to her not holding the rifle properly. Well needless to say, when she shot...the scope bashed her nose bone hard enough to fracture it (we were not sure at the time though if it was broken). Even though she got the doe, she decided to not end the hunt since she still had one more doe tag and a buck tag and she said her nose was not in too much pain. Later that morning another doe came by and she shot it. This time hitting it far back (very unlike her, she never misses). We found the doe alive about 300 yards away, her dad finished it off. Later that day, after the hunt, she commented to me saying she thinks her scope is off from hitting her face so hard and that was the reason she hit so far back. Well we decided to check the rifle before she goes on hunting through out the week. We set up the shooting bench and I watched her shoot. She was shaking very badly at the anticipation of shooting. I told her to not shoot. I asked her why she was shaking and she said she was REALLY scared. I assured her the reason she was scoped in the first place was due to the improper holding of the rifle and actually she is shooting a rather mild round (140 grain accubonds) compared to say a 3006. It didn't matter, she kept shaking. I said ok, just breath and for this first shot keep your head a bit further back on the stock than normal to ensure no scoping, don't worry to much about getting a bullseye, just focus on holding the rifle, in a firm but not over powering manner and shoot one to get your confidence back. She shot and hit a bullseye. I said see, no problem. She said, she was still scared. I said ok, lets take a break from hunting and shooting. So we went home. At this point she went to the doctors to get her nose checked and sure enough it is broken so I told her, let's hang up hunting for the season focus on healing and we can work on your fear of shooting later. So what advice do you all have to try and help her get over this fear? My plan is to get out shooting with the bolt action 22. Do lots and lots of shooting with that. I will also be reloading some very mild 7mm-08 loads with 120 grain nosler ballistic tips. Have her shoot some of those. If that works out, maybe we will just stick with those lighter loads and keep her at ranges under 300 yards for a while. Then if she regains full confidence, step back up to higher charges? Any other things I should do?
I'd say you're on the right track. This is just like trying to fix a gunshy dog and relies on the same primary motivation. If she loves hunting/shooting with a little patience and continuing as you are will solve the problem easily.

If she doesn't, you've got a long row to hoe and it's all uphill.

If you have something with even less recoil than the 7mm-08 like a .223 or even smaller that's what I'd start her on.

She's just got to learn that if she does her part the rifle can't hurt her.

Best of luck.

Get a brake or can on that rifle and get her back on it. I had to do that (a brake) with my son's 6.5 creedmore. He could shoot the rifle without it, but he didn't shoot well at all. The noise from a brake can be mitigated with electronic muffs, so that's a non issue. A longer (4" or so) eye relief scope wouldn't hurt either.
Edit... you say you have a vx2 on it... what does the real eye relief measure?? Midway specs the 3-9 at 3.7 to 4.7"... sometimes in the real world that is not 100% correct though...
I will check it at home but my other leupold's have very generous eye relief. If it is shorter than 4in, are there scopes you can recommend which have 4+in?

I'd say you're on the right track. This is just like trying to fix a gunshy dog and relies on the same primary motivation. If she loves hunting/shooting with a little patience and continuing as you are will solve the problem easily.

If she doesn't, you've got a long row to hoe and it's all uphill.

If you have something with even less recoil than the 7mm-08 like a .223 or even smaller that's what I'd start her on.

She's just got to learn that if she does her part the rifle can't hurt her.

Best of luck.
The only smaller rifles I have are AR platform (223 and 300blackout). they do go boom and make loud noise so maybe that will help.

Well it happened...my wife scoped her nose so bad she broke it! Here is the story. She has been hunting her whole life, even more so than me. She used to shoot a 243 but stepped up to a 7mm-08 2 years ago. While she was hunting in a tree stand, a very nice doe came in from her right side. She is right handed so in order to shoot the deer she had to turn to her right and was in a very awkward position. This lead to her not holding the rifle properly. Well needless to say, when she shot...the scope bashed her nose bone hard enough to fracture it (we were not sure at the time though if it was broken). Even though she got the doe, she decided to not end the hunt since she still had one more doe tag and a buck tag and she said her nose was not in too much pain. Later that morning another doe came by and she shot it. This time hitting it far back (very unlike her, she never misses). We found the doe alive about 300 yards away, her dad finished it off. Later that day, after the hunt, she commented to me saying she thinks her scope is off from hitting her face so hard and that was the reason she hit so far back. Well we decided to check the rifle before she goes on hunting through out the week. We set up the shooting bench and I watched her shoot. She was shaking very badly at the anticipation of shooting. I told her to not shoot. I asked her why she was shaking and she said she was REALLY scared. I assured her the reason she was scoped in the first place was due to the improper holding of the rifle and actually she is shooting a rather mild round (140 grain accubonds) compared to say a 3006. It didn't matter, she kept shaking. I said ok, just breath and for this first shot keep your head a bit further back on the stock than normal to ensure no scoping, don't worry to much about getting a bullseye, just focus on holding the rifle, in a firm but not over powering manner and shoot one to get your confidence back. She shot and hit a bullseye. I said see, no problem. She said, she was still scared. I said ok, lets take a break from hunting and shooting. So we went home. At this point she went to the doctors to get her nose checked and sure enough it is broken so I told her, let's hang up hunting for the season focus on healing and we can work on your fear of shooting later. So what advice do you all have to try and help her get over this fear? My plan is to get out shooting with the bolt action 22. Do lots and lots of shooting with that. I will also be reloading some very mild 7mm-08 loads with 120 grain nosler ballistic tips. Have her shoot some of those. If that works out, maybe we will just stick with those lighter loads and keep her at ranges under 300 yards for a while. Then if she regains full confidence, step back up to higher charges? Any other things I should do?

What's her LOP?

I agree

Check to see if the scope is mounted far enough forward, I had to do forward mount scope rings on my magnums back in the day.
A forward mount benefits for a few things as well.

"Most" shooter creep forward when shooting standing up or if they support the firearms in their hands.
The trick there it adding a slip on gel pad like a athletic Knee pad so it gives us a anchor point for cheek weld.

I ask shooters to get comfortable behind their rifles in 3 shooting positions when setting their optics.
Sitting at bench, kneeling, and standing.

I try to set the optics forward so they see the black Halo ring when they open their eye, hopeful the ring is even all the way around,,, this is good since it indicates that the eye is truely centred with the eye peace.

Set up with eyes closed, then open to confirm, the right to left, up & down is called the bubble check that also aline the eye to cross hairs center.

Not to much halo, but just enough.
I'll admit that it's hard to focus in the heat of the moment, but once we practic and stick to the routine, it becomes second nature.

Once the the optic is set, I get them to Jack many rounds down range in all 3 shooting positions, we record them to see if the shoulder, arms, cheek weld remain in place.

Our TR fellow walks around pushing, pulling, kicking, and tweeking our shooting forum.
He does this to help us stay in configuration.

All humans become laxed in our shooting forum since we might be concentrating on different things. By doing this it allows us to advance in new categories, yet get reminded to remember our forum at the same time.

We call it the 777.
7 of what's going down.
7 in the set up.
7 from shooting forum to mind to shot.

I'll save the PRS Grizzly Bear Charge idea for another day.

The above is only ideas, keep it simple, and don't over think it. All of us get schooled, this is good because we become wize to what's happening.

That way we move forward with better / wizer planning.

Don from Western Canada

PS: I forgot to add.

I'm ambidextrous so this allows me to switch sides.

For years I was a right handed shooter, but one day I thought I'd shoot a group down range off my left side.
It became my accurate side from that day on.

A bit of a learning curve getting set up, but it panned out, I tried the left hand bolt for about 4 months,,, I finely give up and returned to the right hand bolt since I used them to long.

Shooting from either side is a good talent to bring to the game harvest world, that way it allows for the unexpecteds in life.

Don

I'm not sure what to add, other than I am shocked that a 7mm-08 is capable of breaking a nose in any circumstance. I have a 300WM Sendero that for many years wore a scope with too short eye relief. I bloodied myself numerous times taking the scope between the eyes or in the nose. A 7mmm-08 is a pussycat compared to a 12.5lb 300WM.

If she really can't get over it, install a brake and make sure you have a long eye relief scope. The scope that used to be on my 300WM is now on a 243AI and the 300WM wears a scope with much longer relief.

I remember my first time.
Sporter weight 300 Weatherby mag with 225 grain BTHP.
I actually think I could have used a few stitches. Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts