Anybody hunting or shooting with their wife/girlfriend?

My girlfriend hunted with me, but my wife doesn't....and they're the same person, if you follow what I'm saying.

With two young kids it would be hard to make it work, even if she was still interested. She is more than willing to help with butchering, grinding, packing, etc which is wonderful. Our family lives on organic wild meat all year.

My wife sometimes shoots pistols or .22 rifle- but she was never interested in killing/cutting part of hunting. She has been supportive and allowed me to often spend more than we had on my hobby.
In later years when I started applying for special tags I drew tags in areas where I had never been. She agreed to come along on a pre-season scouting trip and loved it! She loves to camp (more than I do) and has a great game eye. We added a side-by-side to our fleet and she really likes that too.
A couple years ago I drew a Shiras tag and we spent two weeks spotting moose in the Bighorns. She says it's one of best vacations she has ever had. Another one of her top vacations was a scouting trip in the Wasatch- elk bugling all around our tent at night.
Of course part of "scouting" is learning the infrastructure in remote areas- like camp spots, gas stations, restaurants and hotels;^). We have a lot of fun and it makes me a lot more prepared when I arrive for the hunt.

A moose tag is what got my wife addicted to hunting in 1971 (I think). Her first year hunting, she got a moose with ex husbands.264 WM, an antelope and a deer with a borrowed .243Win. She was then a "hunting addict"! Got her own .270 Win., and hunted everything with it for about 19 years, several years by herself, before we met....from antelope/deer, to elk. Got a nice Bighorn Sheep ( after we were married) in '95 with her .270 Win. That was her last kill with the .270, as she graduated to a .338 WM.....with our dreams of hunting Africa and Alaska. It's been her "go to" rifle for all of her hunting since '96! Hunting has been an activity she looks forward to every year. We spend 3 weeks ( or more) in the mountains away from civilization and living with the animals. A great stress reliever for the both of us! memtb

i introduced my wife to hunting after we got married were in our thirties. My suggestion is take her on hunt without too much cold or too much hiking or waiting maybe canned pig hunt in Texas where there is plenty of action little discomfort and good accomodations or do most of scouting and preparation so she has fun without too much discomfort and hardship.Some girls might not like shooting pretty little deer but won't mind ugly old hog.My wife and I are making our first Africa trip this year she still loves too hunt but not liking the cold so much here in Colorado.Horse back hunt might be good to .We have our own and have packed in many times girls typically love horses so if hunting is slow at least they are riding.Good luck Put her comfort first and she will probably stay with it.

My wife doesn't hunt but her dad owns the ground we hunt on. I am raising my daughter to be a good wife for some lucky man, she loves to hunt!!!!!!!!!!
cassandras 2018 buck.jpeg

Nope not mine. I brought her out once and right as I was gonna shoot she yelled run away at the animal. I just laughed.
She does enjoy shooting though. She goes every now and again. But I can't say I'm not happy about her not hunting. I'd get less grief for going all the time but I couldn't go all the time if I had to pay for her also. Every hunt would cost double.
Nope I'll pass.

My wife of 31 years really enjoys hunting and fishing. She first got into hunting when we got our first GSP and she came bird hunting. He didn't like hunting her side of the fields when she missed so many birds. She fixed that by attending several wing shooting schools and shooting in a sporting clays league.

Our neighbor's wife talked her into deer hunting a couple days later and she got hooked on that. Also had a little problem with missing (and not paying attention to instruction on the range because of course, anyone but her husband knows more about it).
She again sought out rifle instruction and later long range shooting instruction. Attended a few classes geared to shooting in the field from improvised positions and has really improved.

She's been to Africa, New Zealand and South America big game hunting with me. Even did an al ladies African hunt. All this and a couple weeks ago she shot a Coues deer in Mexico at 555 yards.

Best part of it as a girl raised on a farm that had lots of chickens she can clean any game bird in about 45 seconds. I get to take care of the dogs and gear while she does the birds. Pretty good deal!

I think I'll keep her!

My wife is gold to me. She shoots well but is really slow at it and says she has no interest in hunting. I found out, however, that when it comes to butchering, she is like a surgeon - just lots faster! She has no problem with me killing anything. Being from the Philippines, when she first came here 23 years ago, and I pointed out a deer to her in a field, she said "Very pretty! Is good to eat?" Yep, gold! (Of course, she said that for just about any critter we saw.) She has encouraged me to go out a get deer on our property, so we have the meat and is more than willing to do all the not-so-much-fun stuff after the trigger is pulled. I suspect she might be more interested if I got her out and she was able to swat a nice buck but why upset the apple cart? She's perfectly happy with the way things are and so am I.
Cheers,
crkckr

I have taken my wife out hunting different game a few times, she wasn't really into it - meaning she was ok to be there and we enjoyed hanging out together, but she wasn't wanting to take it serious enough to wake up early and hike in, or was more interested in documenting the experience on Instagram instead of looking for game...LOL. We decided it was OK to have separate hobbies. I haven't tried to get her into long range shooting - that will be my next goal. We'll see how it goes. How many of you out there are hunting with a significant other? What has your experience been with it?
why would a guy want to talk about his wife on a hunting forum? why do you want to know?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.