My Wife's First Deer

7mmRemMag

So we got married on December 28th 2012 and I took her out to the ranch with me on January 5th 2013. She had never shot a rifle before in her life and she really wanted to try and kill something but was pretty convinced she'd miss. I promised her that if she followed my instructions she'd kill something....So from the shooting bench I showed her how to look through the rifle scope, how far her eye needed to be, how she should hold the rifle, what the cross hairs meant, and most importantly where to put the cross hairs on the animal. She practiced aiming at some does that were out on the pipeline where we hunted. Then an 8 Point buck came out (One that I had missed weeks ago @ 800 yards) He comes out at 350+ It was hard to get an accurate range with the light fading so quickly. So I dialed the kenton turret to 350, gave her my ear muffs, rolled the camera, told her to aim on his shoulder, and squeeze the trigger really slowly....BAAM! she sent that 7mm 160gr Nosler Accubond off....She was so surprised by the shot (very light timmney trigger) she thought she rushed it lol. She hit it a little far back...but he died 30 yards from where he was shot. It was fun to take her out there, watch her get buck fever, and be part of her first kill! My only regret is the camera was running out of battery so I didn't even get to zoom out to show the distance or capture video of her holding the deer. But I got some photos with my Nikon though. At the end of it all she says " Now I know why you like to come hunting so much, I know when we have kids they are going to love it! I feel Bad... as in bad to the bone! " LOL that was too cool of an experience. I took my little sister out for her first kill years back, but I got to say taking my wife for her first deer was extra special.

DSC_0368_zps0a450ec7.jpg

DSC_0375_zps1704669b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice! Haha..I like how she was critiquing herself after the shot. "That wasn't slowly babe."

In my line of work, you come to find that the people that are the easiest to train to shoot well are the ones that have never shot much before. No bad habits or big egos :D

Congrats to her and you!

Thank You! Yeah I kept listening to the video over and over again to listen to her say that. Lol I really didn't catch that while we were out there because I was too busy being the spotter and trying to see if I'd see him go down. She wasn't expecting it to go off so soon which was exactly what I wanted, I know most people end up jerking the rifle when they expect the bang and recoil. The 7mm mag has a brake on it and makes it fun to shoot...she is the second girl to shoot and kill with it. My little sister was the first to shoot her first buck with it a few years ago. But I at least got to take my sister to the range to fire a few shots at the target first. Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.