Opinions: Do buyers prefer a new custom rifle to be shot with demonstrated accuracy, or an unfired rifle?

Well, at the very least I would expect them to have some factory rounds on hand to test the rifle with but if it's some oddball wildcat that the customer has created maybe not.

A lot of it depends on trust or proof

Receipts from the Smith would help

Conformation from the smith that they actually built it, matching serial numbers, or smith name on barrel.

Transferable accuracy guarantee from the Smith .

Target pics can help in some cases

But a lot comes down to if people trust what you say....."unfired", "round count" "your accuracy" claims etc. Bore scope pics can help too.

If I'm gonna pay "premium" prices I want proof, trust, or just buy direct from a smith with an accuracy guarantee

Last edited:
I've bought about 5 or 6 rifles from GA Precision, none of them have come back with any sort of target or load testing, and they shoot like this. Count me as one who is fine with one round test fired from a good trustworthy gunsmith.

71721AD6-CA4C-4790-9A8F-E82003EC970A.jpg
2A441951-E561-48E3-85BA-7459BA527D91.jpg

I'd have no issue if unfired, but would strongly consider the gunsmith, choice of components, specifications, and corresponding warranties of materials/workmanship. My preference with a commission of my own for a LRH/precision rifle is that the final product of my specification be tested for function/accuracy, with a bullet/load that is consistent with my requirement/application. I will do the fine tuning.

Not buying new rifles, but my smith won't send out anything that won't shoot 1/2 MOA at a half mile. I have bought some Coopers with good test targets, though I have ragged on them for using match bullets, as did many folk, and I see they are using Barnes sometimes now.

Even a good smith can get a bad barrel, and unless they shoot it, they won't know.

I've bought about 5 or 6 rifles from GA Precision, none of them have come back with any sort of target or load testing, and they shoot like this. Count me as one who is fine with one round test fired from a good trustworthy gunsmith.

View attachment 392101View attachment 392102

Have those rifles met the 5 shot accuracy guarantee of 3/8 moa with factory ammo? ….or do they send a target with it?

Have those rifles met the 5 shot accuracy guarantee of 3/8 moa with factory ammo? ….or do they send a target with it?
They've never sent a target. Believe the guarantee for a hunting weight rifle is .5 MOA but I've shot plenty of small enough groups to know that if I don't, it's because of the nut behind the trigger and not because of the rifle.