Rifle opinions

Csafisher

Want some of y'all input on a new rifle. Stock, custom, or semi custom. Budget is about $1500. This is for only the rifle. Have scope already. Considering calibers of 260/6.5 or 308 or 7mm. Mainly a deer rifle and range gun. Ideally would be a medium weight gun.

Was thinking about getting a pawn shop donor 700 and sending action to get trued with custom barrel.

Any ideas?

For a guaranteed shooter, I'd go the cheap donor 700 route, blueprint it, and put you a Bartlein 26" Rem Varmint 1:9 7mm barrel on it, and chamber it to Nosler/SAAMI spec .280 AI.

Or go the used magnum 700 donor route and do the same exact specs as listed above, but chamber to 7mm RemMag.

As for trigger, the Timney Calvin Elite.

Stock, H.S. Precision builds a great one, and from what I've heard the new Stocky's Long Range Synthetic stocks are nice.

If you get an ADL rifle, and need an ADL-to-BDL mag setup check out Brownells, they sell a complete kit for around $150.00.

I will most likely go with a timney, I have a 510 in my 5R and love it. They also have great customer service!

I love my 7mm STW's (got 2 of them), but he said for target shooting as well as hunting, so I figured the .280 AI and 7mmRM will be better on barrel and throat life.

Everything sounds fine from the above but I'd change to 300 win mag , just more choices and if needed more power, nothing like 30 cal holes for hunting ..lightbulb

Everything sounds fine from the above but I'd change to 300 win mag , just more choices and if needed more power, nothing like 30 cal holes for hunting ..lightbulb

Thanks for input fellas. I currently have a 300wm and a .308. If I'm shooting game it's gonna be past 500yds. Past that will be target shooting. So I'm stuck between 6.5s and 7s

rebarrel a sendero with a fluted barrel for a mid weight . rebarrel a Remington long range for a little heavier one. 6.5-284

How MUCH are you going to shoot it per year?

I built a mid/long range steel and paper rifle that pulls duty as a mid range deer rifle. R700 BDL SA, Bartlein 27" "Sendero" contour w. Badger Thruster brake, Manner T2A stock, Timney CE trigger, chambered in 6.5 SLR. Pushes a 140 HVLD to 2920fps. I have shot it to 1771 yards fairly easily. 1350 and under is cake if the winds are not howling. The rifle weighs in at 15# fully dressed, and recoils about like my 10# .223. You can shoot it all day and not get fatigued.
It has sent several coyotes to bed, and hopefully a deer this coming fall. My petite 14 year old daughter has been shooting it for over a year, and she loves it. She was on several deer last year with it, but a good shot opportunity never presented itself for her.
I think it would make a fine 800-1000 yard deer rifle depending on conditions.

I also have a fairly lightweight (9.5#) 7RM that pushes the 180 Hybrid to 3000fps. It is a deer and elk built mountain carry rig. If I had it to do over again (or for my next rifle), I would think about the 7RSAUM. Push a 168 HVLD to 2900+ in a short barrel and it makes a 1000 yard deer or elk rifle. Steel will sound like it has been hit by a train too. You can get a 26" barrel and practically keep up with a 7RM.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.