Rifle purchase opinions

machoking

So, I have the opportunity to buy a Remington rifle of my choice at a steep discount. I am not that big if a fan of Remington lately but the deal is pretty good. Now, do I go for the gusto and buy a Sendero or do I buy a cheap 270WSM to build a 6.5SAUM/SS on? I like the 264 Win Mag Sendero but it's 1:9 twist.

So, I have the opportunity to buy a Remington rifle of my choice at a steep discount. I am not that big if a fan of Remington lately but the deal is pretty good. Now, do I go for the gusto and buy a Sendero or do I buy a cheap 270WSM to build a 6.5SAUM/SS on? I like the 264 Win Mag Sendero but it's 1:9 twist.

The rifle is basically going to be used for parts.

What are considering steep discount/good deal, esp. when you are going to use it for parts? If you're after the action as a donor for a build, there might be better deal out there if you look hard enough.

I honestly don't have much interest in a factory Remington barrel. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

I honestly don't have much interest in a factory Remington barrel. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
It's not a standard "factory" Remington barrel...Trust me. I ain't trying to steer anyone into a negative direction. It ain't like anything you've ever dealt with before, because it is what it is, and it ain't what it ain't. And it ain't a factory 6-groove Remington barrel. It's a 416R stainless steel barrel blank that's been 5R rifled and hand-lapped. It's the same barrels they use in the M24 sniper rifles, but it's been recontoured to a Remington Varmint/Sendero contour. They're made by the same company from the same blanks.

Buy what you want, just trying to help out.

Last edited:
FEENIX,
If he is talking about the same discount price list I received in an email recently...you're not gonna find a better deal, just have to trust me on this.

Rick and Mud have a point about the 5r being known as an accurate factory rifle. But if you are gonna do a build and just want the action, I wouldn't waist the money.

FEENIX,
If he is talking about the same discount price list I received in an email recently...you're not gonna find a better deal, just have to trust me on this.

Rick and Mud have a point about the 5r being known as an accurate factory rifle. But if you are gonna do a build and just want the action, I wouldn't waist the money.

We likely received the same list. Really tempting to just get a 270WSM since I want to build a 6.5 SAUM or 6.5SS.

image.jpeg

Typical 3 shot group at 200 yards with 5R. My rifle will do this all day long, which if I had a chance to purchase a Remington with a steep discount then it would be another 5R. Also, if you purchase a Remington other than a 5R for parts, the only useful item is the action and that will have to be trued and etc. That complete cost (rifle and action work) would probably be more than a custom action. Like mentioned, barrel and stock are garage so those are useless. No brainier to me; purchase a 5R for a great savings or don't purchase and use money towards a full custom. Just my opinion

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    778.2 KB · Views: 74
That's the other thing. I might just save up for the new ARC Nucleus. Doesn't need all the work done to it that a Remmy would need. Of course, I could just buy a 5r and shoot it, but they don't make a 5r in the calibers I like.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts