What custom rifle to purchase?

CarbonBonds

Hello everyone,

I am starting to do some research on a custom rifle. Usually, I just search the forums with the google custom search instead of making a thread that has already been discussed thoroughly, but I felt I wasn't finding the information I was looking for. If you were going to buy a custom long range rifle, who would you go to?

Some background information that may or may not help. My budget will be around $5-6000 for the rifle. As for a scope, I will put a Nightforce on it. I will reload for the rifle. Primary purpose of the gun will be for antelope and deer in Nebraska and Wyoming. I want to be able to punch holes on paper at 1000 yards for practice and take medium sized game to 700 yards. So I am leaning towards a 7mm Mag, but a part of me wants a .338LM just because. (I don't want this to be a 7mag or .338 discussion directly, loads of posts on that already.) For a time frame, it'll be over a year when I can actually purchase it. If any other information would help with a recommendation, ask and I will respond accordingly.

Thanks in advance.

Since a stock Savage will do everything you want I would guess you could usejust about anyone and be very happy.
It would help to have more info on actual requirements such as weight, barrel length, hunting style, recoil expectations and average shot range.
338s are a blast and my absolute favorite caliber but I hunt out of a truck and my 40 lb Edge and 30+inch tube don't hinder MY STYLE. My Edge would kill many people who walk 5 miles a day. I haven't hiked 5 miles in 5 yrs lol.

Deer hunting will be mostly from stands and a lot of hunting cornfields. Average shots are pry 300-400yds, but 400-600yds opportunities occur. Antelope will be more hiking and spot/stalk on the grasslands. For antelope, I want 600-700 yard capabilities. I am fine with carrying around a 10-11 pound rifle all day. My first rifle I bought was a Savage model 12 and I think it is around 11 pounds. Barrel length: 26".

I don't want anything to do with an 11lb 338. An 11lb 7mm would be another story. RM,LRM,SS, SAUM, WSM, STW, Nosler, RUM, 280AI, 284 pick your poison and you will be happy.
An 11lb 338 is doable I just don't like recoil and it's effects on MY accuracy.
An 11lb goal also opens up the 300. Still for deer and goats, I would lean towards a 180 Hybrid or the 195 EOL in 7mm.

you will have plenty of choices in that price range, if it were me... i would go with Rbros.

R Bros Custom Rifles | Hunting Competition Tactical Rifles

+1 for Rbros. But as stated in your price range for rifle only, you can get whoever you want to make it. Many great smiths out there. I also like Lane Precision and Piercision Rifles. I'm sure some will chime in with others. If you spec out mentally the rifle you want, some smiths are better suited for others. Example, if you are set on a Defiance action, some smiths use a Stiller action branded with their name, etc.. Most all the smiths will built you whatever you want however, you then may play the waiting game. Figuring out the specs you want, and finding a smith who builds that type of rifle can cut down on lead time as they often carry that stuff in stock. If you want a Stiller with Brux barrel in a Manners EH1 for example, go with Piercision Rifles as those are his main parts and he has them all in stock. If you want a Defiance action with Broughton barrel in Manners EH1 stock, go with Rbros, as he has them in stock etc... Hope that helps. Good luck and enjoy! Oh, and for cartridge look at 28 Nosler (throated for 195's) and 300 Win Mag (throated for 215's)!

Defiance, bartlein, trigger of choice timney jewel etc, manners or McMillan. Take to a good smith. Wam bam.

Personally, given those objectives, I'd go 7mm or 30cal of choice. Order a Savage or Remage barrel and put it all together myself. Have money left over for a nice scope and lots of reloading components, and still money in the bank on that budget. And the gun would likely shoot in the .3s or .4s.

Personally, given those objectives, I'd go 7mm or 30cal of choice. Order a Savage or Remage barrel and put it all together myself. Have money left over for a nice scope and lots of reloading components, and still money in the bank on that budget. And the gun would likely shoot in the .3s or .4s.

You could use a custom action and Remage it and build 3!!!!!! for the cost of one. Build a 6.5, a 300 and a 338.

28 Nosler, Proof research light sendero barrel, Pierce titanium action, jewell trigger, Manners elite carbon fiber stock, elk meadow performance titanium brake. Personally, I'd let Pierce Engineering screw it all together for you and then go kill a dump truck full of critters.

I loved working with Northwest action works and I love my 338 lapua Rogue. whatever caliber u chose. They will make it a gem. embork

Get a savage long range your NF of choice a G7 and spend the rest on a shooting school and reloading class.
If for some reason it's not a 1/2-3/4 moa gun you can diy with a prefit from shillen pac nor Kreiger Criterion and others. Stocks are becoming easier to come b for the savage and timney and rifle basix have good triggers if needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.