What scope would you purchase?

WestCo

I'm settled on building a 30 Nosler built on a Stiller action. Just trying to decide on what scope to put on it. I think I've narrowed it down to either the Nightforce SHV 5 - 20 IHR reticle or the Zeiss Conquest HD 5 - 25 z-plex reticle. As this will become my new hunting rifle, I will shoot plenty of targets with it and try to become a sufficient long range shooter as well. I am planning on having custom turrets built for it after a load is developed as well. Any suggestions or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

On scopes, with that kind of power, intended for long range shooting, I would choose a MOA reticle. That can only be had with the Nightforce. If I were looking for a holdover BDC type reticle, then I would choose the Zeiss with the Rapid-Z reticle.

With a MOA reticle you can measure groups from a distance with it. As in, it is easy to tell of your long range groups on steel or rocks is less than MOA or not. And can measure the correction needed for your next shot.

Also, would not get the custom turrets. They will only be accurate for one bullet and load in one particular set of weather conditions and or altitude. I just think they are more trouble than they are worth. Besides I like to play around with different bullets tooo much...

Definitely the Vortex Razor AMG. As far as i know EVERY part is Made in USA, even the excellent glass. If you have a Stiller action then you need a scope of equal quality.

The Vortex Razor AMG is fairly light for what it does and for the quality even though it's not by any means the lightest. Vortex has built a separate manufacturing facility within their plant for AMG scopes. And they have patented a special reticle lens "carriage" that takes up less room inside the tube to give more adjustment for windage and elevation.

Yeah, there are several excellent scopes on the market but I feel that only Schmidt & Bender is better than the Vortex Razor AMG and only by a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.