What new Loading Dies to purchase?

Blueridgeguy

Need to purchase loading dies for 28 Nosler, 6.5 PRC, and 6.5 Creedmoor. What do you guys recommend? Haven't bought any in years and all my existing dies are RCBS. Press is a Rock Chucker. I'd like to buy once cry once. Searched earlier threads and a lot were older. Thanks to all!

I am liking RCBS dies these days. One thing I have noticed is that some die brands seem to size a lot more than others. For example, I have some Hornady dies that while I do like, they seem to be similar in size to a RCBS small base die. If you have a really tight chamber and need that much sizing then it seems like Hornady is a good choice. But if the chamber is a bit looser then a regular RCBS die is better. The downside of a die that is too tight is overworking the brass. My opinion is that for the average factory chamber, an RCBS standard FL die is a better choice than a Hornady. I don't have many Redding dies but I do have a set in .30-338 and that die is even looser than the same RCBS die. I like Wilson dies for seating bullets. My 2 cents anyway.

-Jim

Need to purchase loading dies for 28 Nosler, 6.5 PRC, and 6.5 Creedmoor. What do you guys recommend? Haven't bought any in years and all my existing dies are RCBS. Press is a Rock Chucker. I'd like to buy once cry once. Searched earlier threads and a lot were older. Thanks to all!
Redding or Hornady FL bushing dies are the way to go.
I started seeing split necks with traditional dies that size it down .010 or more.
Also use a mandrel expander and throw the button expanders in the trash

Redding and forester are my go to. Usually Redding type s die with forester micro seater, I like the forester seater because it's cheaper and it comes with vld seating stem already installed.

I've gone almost exclusively with Redding Type S FL bushing dies with match seater. My brass lasts a loooong time. Type S FL dies also have helped to make some very consistent and accurate ammo.

Just my 2 cents.

If you're loading strictly hunting ammunition, nearly any or all of the reloading die manufacturers can help you with this and with your attention to detail will make fine ammunition.

There are very few advances in manufacturing reloading dies. Most differences come with the range of styles which are available from each manufacturer. The biggest change came from the high speed manufacturing processes. The cost of manufacturing dies is relatively small. The ego of the manufacturers can be huge, especially when it comes to their pricing structure. You can buy RCBS, Lee, Hornady, etc. to control the cost or you can pay an exorbitant increase just for the pleasure of saying you own Redding without any gain in making better ammunition. Realize that one of the basic cost increase is the Quality Control aspect. Far too many companies have now skipped this part and don't catch the failures which were usually caught previously. There are many threads written which detail every complaint possible from the manufacturers.

If you truly wish to own the best dies then look at Warner Tool Co. dies which are custom made from your brass:

https://www.warner-tool.com/reloading-dies/

https://www.warner-tool.com/product/wtc-custom-sizing-die/

Read his instructions careful to understand the differences.

At one time I also used Whidden dies, not quite as expensive as WTC but high none the less.

Now I make my own and control all the variables which can be found in reloading dies. I have them when I need them and the cost is minimal with my time and labor being the biggest share.

If you want to look at the better source of dies, take a look at the L.E. Wilson website:

https://lewilson.com/

Enjoy the process!

:)

Last edited:
Forster. Their std seating die has the sliding chamber seater without the micrometer or you can get the micrometer, if you like that.

Their sizing dies have a very good design to control concentricity and neck tension is adjustable by buying different expanders. They are also well polished. They also offer a honing service to reduce neck sizing amount.

I don't know of a better die set.

Well as others have stated and you probably know from experience Rcbs, Hornady and Redding standard dies can produce accurate hunting ammo. The next step up is bushing dies of which the Redding seems to be most popular. With the bushing you can control how much you size the neck down. Most guys are ditching the expander and using mandrels to expand the neck. The main advantage is you are not sizing the necks way down then back up increasing brass life. Now with hunting ammo I have not had an issue with split necks. The primer pockets will usually go first anyway if loading warm. The other thing would be in sizing necks way down and pulling an expander through the thought is you can get concentricity or runout issues. I have not found this to prevent me from loading sub moa ammo with standard dies at the distances I shoot. Just be aware if you use a bushing die you need to run an expander or mandrel inside the neck as a last step unless you want to get into neck turning or use Lapua brass. Sizing from the outside pushes any difference in neck thickness inside the neck and can actually induce more runout than a standard die. If you want to know the best practice for long range hunting or target then look at what those guys do. I think predominantly they turn necks and use bushing dies with a mandrel and a wilson inline seater with an arbor press and force gauge to measure seating force. That's a lot of work and expense unless you need that much precision.