new rifle purchase suggestions? 1000$

Bigeclipse

I have a thread going about possibly doing a semi custom savage but now im contemplating simply buying another rifle. So for this thread please keep the custom type rifles out of it. Im looking for a rifle to stretch to 500 yards on deer/elk. I understand long range rifles tend to be heavy but I will be carrying this in field so would like to avoid the super thick bull barrels. Heavy sporter or thinner varmint contour is fine though. Which rifle would you go for around my price range. I was also thinking 300win mag.
I like 30cal but definitely not dead set on it. I've heard to look into the sendero. Is it worth buying the newer sendero ii or are the originals good too? How about some savages like the the LRH or one of their tactical ones that come with hs precision stocks? Basically which factory rifle would you get knowing it would most likely be a decent shooter out of the box? Thanks!!!

Savage LRH. I had one in 300WSM that I recently sold....bad mistake. It would shoot 3/4 to 1 inch groups with Berger 185 Hybrids at 300 yards consistently.

Dumb me Dumb me Dumb me.

Savage 116 FCNS in 30-06, 7mm Rem mag, 300wsm or 300win mag.

I know I mentioned nothing to do with customs but if I was going to go with a savage it would have to have a non accustockl as the accustock versions have small recoil lugs which making swapping barrels and possibly stocks later hard I heard?

I know I mentioned nothing to do with customs but if I was going to go with a savage it would have to have a non acoustical as the accustock versions have small recoil lugs which making swapping barrels and possibly stocks later hard I heard?

Not sure that is a problem. You can get them without the accu stock. Look at the model 111's. The 114 is a wood stock rifle with pillar bedding.

Upon further review of the savage line up, you need the rifle I own. The savage VLP mod 12 in either 308win or 300wsm. Either one will knock a 4 legged critter off their legs at 500yds. You want to go further, then stick with the 300 WSM.

I would DEFINITELY go with a Savage. I would suggest the law enforcement series 300 WM with the HS stock; I think it is a 110 FCPK. That rifle is awesome! The weather warrior seems good but might have stiff recoil in a 300 WM. 500 yard will be nothing to you.

I have a savage 6.5x284 LRH. I really like the rifle, but I got one of the first stocks and it is peeling etc. I understand they have fixed that. The gun really shoots though. I also, have a Tikka .300 Win Mag that my wonderful wife gave me for Christmas one year. I won't ever sell that gun. I might have to have it buried with me, in fact. lol

Honestly, if I had a grand to toss down on a gun right now for what you've suggested, well, I'd have to go with a Sako Roughtech A7 in either 7mm Rem Mag, or 300 Win Mag. Sako's are renown for their out of box accuracy, and these have a 5 round MOA guarantee with factory ammo. The stock has a full aluminum bed and is textured. Magazine & Fluted barrel... Dang! Eurooptic has them for just a little beyond your price point... $1098, and if I had the money, I'd grab one right now. Lots of guns out there and a lot of good choices, but this one would be mine!

I've got 4 tikkas, and love them all... But love the stock and action on the roughtech.

Savage 111 Long Range Hunter. I shoot a 7mm out to 900 yds with handloads. They are not pretty to look at but get the job done. I have basically found nothing it wont shoot 1" groups with. I painted mine desert tan and mounted a nightforce on it. It looks ALOT better then when it was purchased with the paint.............. and the nightforce 5.5-22X56 pretty much makes anythig look sexy :D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.