Rifle opinions

Only because you guys haven't shot a .25-06AI!!! gun)
Mine spits a 115 HVLD at 3400fps into .300" groups.

Agreed... You have to shoot one to really appreciate it. The recoil is so mild, but that 115 is spitting out the end at 3,300-3400 from a 26" barrel. You shoot a watermelon at 100 yards with a .25-06 AI using a Berger 115's and it turns into a chunk-flying red mist.

I shot a full bottle of water once at 100 yards with my .257 Wby with 110 NAB's (almost 3,500 fps MV), and it hit so hard you could hear the THUMP! when the bullet hit the water bottle over the report of the shot being fired, as it turned into mist. Water went 50+ feet in all directions. Imagine that being a deer's vitals. If you've never witnessed it, try it yourself.

If you've never been a fan of the 1/4-bores, give the .25-06 AI a shot...You'll be hooked. Brass forming is easy, and you can use cheap .270 Win brass (which is what I use). Form up 100 cases, and you'll be set for a good while, depending on how hot you run your loads, of course.

The reason the 6.5 was not chosen over a .25 is because the 6.5mm is so close to the .270 Win, that it would have been a very unsuccessful endeavor. Especially since back then there were not very many good 6.5mm bullets available, like there are today. So, the logical step was .25 to .27.

Agreed... You have to shoot one to really appreciate it. The recoil is so mild, but that 115 is spitting out the end at 3,300-3400 from a 26" barrel. You shoot a watermelon at 100 yards with a .25-06 AI using a Berger 115's and it turns into a chunk-flying red mist.

I shot a full bottle of water once at 100 yards with my .257 Wby with 110 NAB's (almost 3,500 fps MV), and it hit so hard you could hear the THUMP! when the bullet hit the water bottle over the report of the shot being fired, as it turned into mist. Water went 50+ feet in all directions. Imagine that being a deer's vitals. If you've never witnessed it, try it yourself.

If you've never been a fan of the 1/4-bores, give the .25-06 AI a shot...You'll be hooked. Brass forming is easy, and you can use cheap .270 Win brass (which is what I use). Form up 100 cases, and you'll be set for a good while, depending on how hot you run your loads, of course.

Ive just never been a fan of the standard 25-06 because it seemed like alot of powder pushing a smaller bullet with not really anything over smaller rounds like the 243, 6.5 creed /260rem or the 7mm-08 which are using less powder but doing the same thing.

Ive just never been a fan of the standard 25-06 because it seemed like alot of powder pushing a smaller bullet with not really anything over smaller rounds like the 243, 6.5 creed /260rem or the 7mm-08 which are using less powder but doing the same thing.

I personally don't care for the standard .25-06 either. Too soft on the shoulder angle and body taper...Same goes for a lot of other old school cartridges out there. That's why I love the AI versions...It brings the old school up to modern times.

Also, I have yet to see a .243 push a 115 grain bullet to remotely near 3,400 fps. I definitely haven't seen a 6.5 Creed or 7mm-08 come remotely close, and most I've seen wouldn't even break 3,000... I have seen a .260 Rem pushing the line, and definitely seen several .260 AI's that crossed the threshold but were still just barely on the other side of the 3K mark. That's a far cry from 3,400 fps. So they definitely are not "doing the same thing". They might be used in the same way, but they're not the same thing. That's about like saying an irish potato and a sweet potato are the same exact thing, because they're both potatoes...

I personally don't care for the standard .25-06 either. Too soft on the shoulder angle and body taper...Same goes for a lot of other old school cartridges out there. That's why I love the AI versions...It brings the old school up to modern times.

Also, I have yet to see a .243 push a 115 grain bullet to remotely near 3,400 fps. I definitely haven't seen a 6.5 Creed or 7mm-08 come remotely close, and most I've seen wouldn't even break 3,000... I have seen a .260 Rem pushing the line, and definitely seen several .260 AI's that crossed the threshold but were still just barely on the other side of the 3K mark. That's a far cry from 3,400 fps. So they definitely are not "doing the same thing". They might be used in the same way, but they're not the same thing. That's about like saying an irish potato and a sweet potato are the same exact thing, because they're both potatoes...

Im not saying the same in velocity but in down range performance. Those higher BC bullets catch up. In terms of what your saying then yes they are totally different critters.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.