Rifle weights... Opinions wanted

Cruizin

I'm curious to here about all your setups and how much they weigh. I like the chassis type of stocks because they allow me to fit the rifle to me perfectly but they are all quite a bit heavier than the composites out there. I also like the idea of being able to run a DBM system and being able to basically bolt my action in and go. Not fitting the DBM metal is a plus too.

XLR chassis for example run pretty much 4 to 5 lbs and by the time you put a decent barrel, scope and all that I would imagine things could get over 15 lbs rather easily.

Would any of you guys like to share your set up with me and discuss how much it weighs and how much you wish it weighed???

Anyone own an XLR or AICS chassis? If so what does your set up weigh in at?

Personally I like a long range hunting gun to be somewhere around 12 lbs but its been my experience that this is hard to achieve once I pick the barrel I want and put it all together.

As a rule heavier is steadier, and steadier lends to greater accuracy and precision as a result.

Personally 15lbs is about as much rifle as I want to pack around for general hunting but if I head up to the mountains in rough terrain I'll also carry one of my light 7mm STW's or .300Wm (Light being 6.5-9lbs) in case I have to do any serious climbing.

Both McMillian and H-S precision make some very nice tactical/varmint type stocks that are fully adjustable, and depending on the fill used I think both have models coming in at under 3 Lbs.

The Chasis stocks look cool and shoot great but I don't want to have to sling one over my back and carry it for very long.

When I am out hunting and hiking around the lighter the better within reason. I carry a 300wm that is a bit over 10lbs and I would not want to carry anything more than that, just my own personal opinion.

It is a fine line when it comes to rifle weight and hunting weight, especially when it comes to being up in the alpines where you will probably experience longer shots. Heavier is steadier but then again, you don't want to have carry around an ungodly heavy weapon. I hunt up high and truthfully don't spend a lot of time with my hands on my gun unless I am putting a stalk on something. That thing is strapped tight in the rifle pouch on my pack. With that being said, you don't want to weigh your pack down too much, especially when you are 10+miles in and climbing. Careful planning of what you pack makes a big difference, and allows you to have a heavier weapon without hating life. My set up is a little over 10 pounds loaded. I shaved a little weight off by getting a McMillan Game scout stock (2lbs) which is based off of their A3.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah I have an 11 lb rifle now with bipod and it is nice to carry in the gunrunner pack. You are right about what else is in the pack with it. I can actually shoot with it off hand still but if it was 15 lbs not sure I could pull that one off.

This is why I keep both the light and heavier platforms. My six to eight lbs rigs are more than adequate for anything out to 600yds, 800yds in a pinch even for larger/heavy boned game such as Elk.

If I have time to set up for LR with the big guns, no problem. If not, no problem.

I grew up in the heart of hard mountain hunting and am getting older.So I pack my ultimate LR Elk rifle,it is 9 #'s dressed w/bipod,sling loaded.It is a 338 Norma and I built it specific light.20 years before that I packed a heavier 340wby,that did its job,hammered many a 6x6.With rifle and day pack Im still at 36-40 lbs.Depending on gear for conditions,like crampons or snow shoes,coats,and spotting scope size.

If you think you might want a lighter gun, you should probably get one.
If you only hunt praries, I would go around 14 lbs. Any kind of mountains, no more than 11 lbs. Alpine with a 40lbs+ pack under 10 lbs.
All my rifles are under 10 lbs, and they still get to resonable ranges. I dont feel the need for heavy rifles unless shooting ELR. That being said, I dont really like ultralite rifles (6-7lbs).

My weight fully loaded with bipod, sling, etc. Is 10.75#, my preferred weight for the type of LR hunting I do, a mix of carry and stand hunting out to 1000 yards. My primary rifle is a 26" Cooper with a #6 fluted barrel and a Jackson Hunter synthetic stock, 6.5x284.

I like to get up around timberline to hunt elk and I've never been one to sit for long and as we age I find now 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 lbs is about right for me. My 280AI weight 9 1/4 lbs and 284 is almost 9lbs same as the 30-338mag and I change packs last year when with the Eberlestock X2 save little weight over my old one.

I've rebuild lot starting 7 yrs ago may not have that heavier contour on a barrel that I'd like but now that I'm 70 didn't give up all that much with the smaller contour also I had my fun with the heavy barrels.

build what you want is my advise

my 7mag weighs 13# without the bipods (which tend to be in the day pack), my light rifle is a 7# 270. when I head into the rougher country it's the 270, but I'm not going to shoot past 500yrds with it either. It has cost me a few shot opportunities but not so much that I've ever regretted it because it would have been hell to get an elk out of there anyway even with horses, besides I'm good enough at killing things in the worst possible location as it is, don't need to add to it. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.