Single shot midweight (12lb?) LR rifle - opinions wanted

the claw NZ

Hello all, I've been thinking about my next build, just can't quite nail down the specs though...

Currently I have a light LR rifle (7mm/338 Norma Improved - built on a Rem 700 LA) that weighs just over 8lb ready to shoot. Its my main hunting rifle, I'm pretty comfortable shooting it out to around 800m (900 ish yards).

My other LR rifle is just over 18lb, its a 338/408 CT Improved. Its OK to carry for shorter distances, but great to shoot at longer distances... My rangefinder only goes to 1,300m, so currently thats the limit for me (on game). So far I have shot game to 1,000m (1,100 yards).

There is a gap in the middle however... What I'm thinking is something around 12-13lb, with enough performance to get to 1,300m on Bull Tahr or Red Deer here in New Zealand.

What I have decided is this:
1. Single shot, throated long to make full use of the case
2. McMillan A3 stock with Edge Tech
3. About a 28 inch barrel, plus brake

I have Premiers on both my other LR rifles (a light tactical and a Heritage 5-25), don't need to stay with a Premier, but it would be nice for familarity.

Some options I am considering... Build another 7mm/338 Norma Improved, but with a heavier/longer barrel and heavier stock that what I have currently (hunters Edge/#4 fluted 26"). That way, I make use of the dies I already own.

Build a 338 LM of some description. In my way of thinking, it would need to be improved to offer a useful step up in performance from the 7mm? (180gr Hybrids at 3,275fps). One bonus of the 338 is a longer barrel life over the 7mm (this is not a major for me though as you can tell with the "barrel burners" I have now :D)

For either of these I would likely use a custom action. I have been looking around a bit, really like the look of the Raptor or the Defiance. One question I do have however, is there an action out there that has a .590 boltface, but comes in a short action length. All I really need is an action long enough to eject a fired case, pulling the bolt to extract a live round doesn't bother me. Then I can put a bit more weight into the barrel, or step up to a Premier Heritage (or similar) class of scope.

So, wise people please speak up, what would you build? And if you have built it, show me/us the photos! (please)

I am building pretty much the same setup that you are talking about in 338 LM. Here are my specs.

Stiller TAC 338 single shot action w/ 20 MOA rail
McMillan A3 stock
26" Fluted Hart barrel
CSR 4 port slabbed muscle brake
Jewell trigger
Badger ordinance MAX 50 rings
Nightforce 5.5-22x50 w/HS turrets and ZS

I am about a month away from having the stock, barrel and action done.
I was going to get a 28" barrel but you really don't see too much of a velocity gain from 26" to 28" but 30" was just too much for me so I stayed with 26" on the barrel.

Will be up in Auckland this coming January to visit the wife's sister. Very nice scenery but too big and too compact of a city for me.

Will be up in Auckland this coming January to visit the wife's sister. Very nice scenery but too big and too compact of a city for me.

Yeah, I'm from near the bottom of the South Island, don't like Auckland much myself... Rather be out in the Southern Alps or high country hunting...

Sounds like your build will be a good one, any idea on the finished weight yet? thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.