Rifle Build Complete: Opinions Wanted

jtmoose

Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to the forums and very new to hunting. However, i wanted to build my own rifle because I'm a tinker. I wanted to get some feedback on how I did and what you might do different for when I build another. I started my first season hunting black bear, blacktails, and elk here in western WA (tag soup though). Here are the parts I used and why.

Action: Stevens 200 donor short action (seemed really cheap to build from)
Barrel: X-Caliber 22" #5 .308win (.308 seems cheap and available)
Stock: B&C Medalist (I like a more vertical grip)
Trigger: Rifle Basix SAV-2
Scope: Leupold VX1 3-9x40 (Leupold seemed to have a good reputation)

After one season of hunting, the weight seems a little heavy after a full day in the mountains. I only seem to be able to see 200yds for >90% of the area I am hunting. Very few spots without thick timber. I appreciate your feedback, thank you.

I think the scope might be your weak link. The VX1 will get you by, but I think a VX2 2-7 or even a VX3 would be a great value.

I live right across the river, in St. Helens Oregon. The funny thing that came to mind when you were talking about only seeing out to 200 yards. I'm almost done with my new build (280ai), and I was thinking the same thing. There is absolutely no where I can even see past 200 yards. Especually now that our friendly neighborhood timber company is keeping us out unless we buy their permits. :rolleyes: On state timber land, it's all jungle.

All in all you did good. The B&C has a hefty weight to it, but if you like a vertical grip you bought a good sturdy and strong stock. They also make an M40 that comes in about 1.5 lbs. less then the A2, but no vertical grip. All my Leupolds have been Vari x III and they are nice and have never had an issue with any of them.

I can't seem to notice the difference between expensive optics and inexpensive optics. I suppose I'm just not using it in the right conditions to see the difference. Could I lighten my stock by drilling out the butt of it?

Lighter barrel and lighter stock are about all you can do to reduce weight significantly. You did what 99% out there do when they build their first rifle, make it too heavy. The VX1 is a good scope, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

After one season of hunting, the weight seems a little heavy after a full day in the mountains.

IMHO, there's nothing wrong with your build. I'm not sure what you're considering heavy. My .270 AI has a 30" Lilja and is 12 lbs hunt ready as seen below.

1116141048_zps31535348.jpg

I tend to just condition myself mentally and physically to mitigate the weight issue, but that's just me. :cool: Cheers!

Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to the forums and very new to hunting. However, i wanted to build my own rifle because I'm a tinker. I wanted to get some feedback on how I did and what you might do different for when I build another. I started my first season hunting black bear, blacktails, and elk here in western WA (tag soup though). Here are the parts I used and why.

Action: Stevens 200 donor short action (seemed really cheap to build from)
Barrel: X-Caliber 22" #5 .308win (.308 seems cheap and available)
Stock: B&C Medalist (I like a more vertical grip)
Trigger: Rifle Basix SAV-2
Scope: Leupold VX1 3-9x40 (Leupold seemed to have a good reputation)

After one season of hunting, the weight seems a little heavy after a full day in the mountains. I only seem to be able to see 200yds for >90% of the area I am hunting. Very few spots without thick timber. I appreciate your feedback, thank you.
Nice build !I love savages and have built 2 so far myself. Unfortunately, light weight set-ups typically = lots of money. What I suggest to you is if you truly cant shoot further than 200 yards, accuracy really is not a big deal. Go buy a factory lightweight rifle something like a Tika light weight. these rifles will easily give you the accuracy needed for 200 yards and keep weight off your back while hiking. Have you weighed your setup? The B&C stock I believe will be a contributor to why it is heavy and the barrel contour. I wouldn't change the savage, especially if it is accurate. Id keep it for the day you will shoot longer. I have an almost identical savage build and then I have my Remington 700 Mountain SS which is much lighter setup. The Remington will only hold a 1inch group on a good day and is typically 1.5inches but is perfect for hunting the woods. Anytime I sit a field with 200+ yard shots I bring my savage.

IMHO, there's nothing wrong with your build. I'm not sure what you're considering heavy. My .270 AI has a 30" Lilja and is 12 lbs hunt ready as seen below.

1116141048_zps31535348.jpg

I tend to just condition myself mentally and physically to mitigate the weight issue, but that's just me. :cool: Cheers!

haha 12lbs to me is heavy. My Savage build comes in at 10.5lbs and that is heavy for me :) My Remington 700 comes in a 7.8lbs which really does feel lighter when walking long distances BUT again it is personal preference. If I think long range might be involved, my heavy savage goes with me no matter how far the walk.

haha 12lbs to me is heavy. My Savage build comes in at 10.5lbs and that is heavy for me :) My Remington 700 comes in a 7.8lbs which really does feel lighter when walking long distances BUT again it is personal preference. If I think long range might be involved, my heavy savage goes with me no matter how far the walk.

That's why I am advocating mental and physical conditioning instead, it opens up more opportunities. For instance ...

My buddy and I hunted elk in a new area today. It took us 3.5 hours to climb 5 miles to the top of the ridge (2K' elevation gain) and 2 hours back down. There's 2-4" of snow on the ~30 degree slope trails and it's slick on some areas. No such luck though. :D

I was carrying a 9 lbs rifle set-up and 35 lbs pack. Thought of your prep time for your upcoming hunt. Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts